Purepower APS a reliable product?

To those who are considering buying a regenerating power supply, I want to share with you my experience. I bought one a Purepower 1050i back in mid 2010. It worked good and provided a dark and quiet background for my system. I was happy with the unit until about 11 months ago. It just failed one day when I returned home from work. It was off itself without any display. I tried to turn it on but a message came up as short circuit and some smoke came out from inside. I can smell it too.

I contacted Purepoweraps in Canada for repair and finally agreed to send the two boards back. Sending the whole equipment is too expensive. It then went quiet for nearly three months and no one ever return to my emails. I finally called them despite i am in a 10 hours different time zone. I was told they were waiting for parts and should be fixed the following week. After more than 5 months, I finally got the two boards back. I plugged them in correctly but not able to turn it on. I contacted purepower again and they ask me to check connections, all correct. Disconnect the battery and all other sorts of means. All failed to turn it on. After I chased a few more emails, no more reply and went quiet again. Despite chasing for another few months, I got no feedback and answer. I finally tried the local dealer and they told me they dropped the line and now selling PS Audio only. There were technical problems but he was not willing to provide more details.

I tried another dealer in another country but I was told they got no parts and not able to repair for me.

Early this year, Purepower launched a new line of products. I discussed with the Marketing Manager of Purepower and suggested a trade in offer to get the new one. I was promised with a proposal and it never comes up.

It is a good product. But not reliable. More important, the technical support is not available at all. No customer services.

If you consider buying one, think carefully. Good luck.

The purpose is purely to share the experience. I may be the unluckly one or I am just one of a couple of dozen or a couple of hundred unlucky one. May be you can share your experience.
aressiu

Showing 5 responses by zephyr24069

I've been using a Bybee latest-gen unit for a while now and I am VERY impressed and VERY happy!!!
I sold my PP2000 sometime ago and no longer have to deal with them. I'm very happy with both the fact that I now have superior results with a Bybee 3.0 unit and the fact that I no longer have to deal with all manner of delays, b.s. and lies in conversations with a vendor I'm trying to deal with for an upgrade path.
I loved what the PP2000 unit did for my system over 3+ years however when it came time to consider upgrade (PP2000+ or PP3000+), it took forever with many broken promises to my dealer with money already paid to PP (by my dealer) to get a demo unit. It was over 8-9 months of frustration. When the unit finally arrived I very enthusiastically paid the overnight shipping to get the "plus" net-gen unit to my home. I powered down the 2000 and put the plus-unit right into the system. From the moment I turned it on (even before other components), a constant and loud buzzing like a hive of bees and other noises began to emanate from my speakers. Taken the plus-unit out and putting the PP2000 resolved the issue. In many iterations with PP, I was told that it must be my system, my grounding problem, etc.....and that all the units were perfect in design and fully tested. I subsequently talked with 2 other PP users who tried the plus-units with similar results, one with a digital system, the other with an analog system. There seemed to be no attempt by PP to realize they might have a design issue with the battery recharge or other circuit of some other poorly performing aspect compared to their prior generation of products. After months of trying to resolve the issue, get some appreciation that the plus-unit caused issues that the PP2000s did not, I gave up....it's a shame really as the PP2000 did wonders for my system for many years. The upside is that I discovered a superior product in my travels/auditions and since getting the Bybee v3, I'm as done as I know how to be with the topic of conditioners...
Amen...see other threads for details of other horror stories with the PP 'team'.
Sad but probably the sane thing to tell yourself just so you can move past it...try opening a case with the Ontario authorities.