PSB Goldi vs. Mordant short performance 860

The problem I have is that the PSB Goldi is nowhere local to try a test listen. I am going to audition the Mordaunt-short performance 860s tomorrow evening. There is a pair of PSBs about 4 hours away that I could pickup. I figure after fuel I will have about 875 tied up in them. I have an oppertunity of the mordaunt-short 860s for 1k and they are local.

Has anyone heard both of these? I have seen it posted that there is some honkiness to the 860s but I do not know how they would compare to the Goldi.

Thanks for everyones input, you are ALL very helpful!!

Evan
240z4u

Showing 3 responses by jaybo

you are lucky...they are quite rare. legendary. sound good with a wide variety of ss and tube gear. keepers for sure.
the psb's are really solid hi end loudspeakers, but the 860's are one of the best loudspeakers at any price. dollar vs performance, well,they are off the charts. 'a thinking man's wilson'.
i'm glad you like them.....the psbs are great, but the 860's are one of the best allrounders ever made. it was an all out effort by ms make a loudspeaker that was truly classic in every way. years from now it will be a cult item. the pse's are great too. once again a little known company who made a very very ambitious piece of equipment. enjoy buying music now, and know you have a set of speakers that are better than most anything out there at gobs more money. even the build quality is second to none