PsAudio 300?

From everthing that I have read; this sounds like one piece of very exciting equipment. Anybody out there have experience with this baby? The feedback I got from my Ps Audio UO post is not motivating me to go that way, but this, if found used, may do it for me. Show me the light! Please, first hand experience only. Thanks
whirshfield

Showing 1 response by sean

After doing a lot of reading about these ( never used one myself ), i'd simply pass on that the general consensus is that 300 watts of rated output is somewhat "liberal". Most folks say that they find these to work best and run a LOT cooler with a max of about 180 - 220 watts of draw on them. Since most SS line level gear pulls next to nothing, that shouldn't create a problem for most basic systems. Running tubes or a very component heavy system might be another story.

You have to remember that this is basically an amplifier circuit and go from there. Running any amp at or very near rated power for extended periods of time is typically not a good thing. Maintaining a reasonable level of headroom not only minimizes strain and heat ( making the fan unnecessary ), it increases linearity and can result in increased lifespan with less hassle along the way.

Simply add up the power draw of each unit that you plan on connecting to the PS and see where the total falls. If you're somewhere around 180 - 220 watts or less, you should be okay. This would put you somewhere between 60% and less than 75% of maximum rated output, allowing appr 25% - 40% of headroom within the circuitry. Hope this helps... Sean
>