PS3 or DVD1800BD

I have a PS3 and I'm wondering if I should "upgrade" to the denon DVD1800BD or it's bigger brothers. The denon Blu ray players don't have wireless so Blu ray live (the online content?) won't work I'm guessing. I'm wondering if bitstream will sound better than the PS3's output (linear PCM). For my taste, the PS3 video looks great on my samsung but I'm wondering if the sound quality will be significantly better. I have a denon 4308ci as my a/v receiver. Any insights would be appreciated.
oinker48
No, do not upgrade. Wait. I was in the same boat and on 1/1/2009 I bought a 2500BTCI. It needs a firmware update to play HellBoy II and several other new movies and the web site will not allow me to download. I called Denon and they confirmed my issue and said they would call me back. Still waiting :(

As far as being better than the PS3, no way. I wanted to see my preamp light up TrueHD so bad. What a let down, the Denon may be a little better in sound but I think it's wishful thinking. Waste of money to buy something else if you own a PS3. I have it networked and use it as a media player also.
I would disagree, having owned a PS3 and seven other stand alone Blu-rays, including the Denon 2500BTCI, the PS3 is a pretty lame Blu-ray player from both video and audio standpoints. I do love some of the games though!!!
Hey Pdjmwj. If you go over to the Denon 2500 thread at AVS, soemeone there will be more than happy to burn you a disc. Did You get your unit from an authorized dealer?
I own the Denon 2500 also. It is head and shoulders above the PS3 as far as picture quality and sound quality are concerned. Denon has stepped up and supported the 2500 with firmware upgrades. Many stand alone Blu Ray players have needed firmware upgrades, this will probably be straightened out soon.

I do wish the 2500 had come with an ethernet for firmware upgrades but it didn't. I am still very happy with it, it's built like a tank. I plan to trade it in for the new DVD-A1UDCI Universal Blu Ray player being released by Denon in a short time. I won't have to burn any more discs for updates wirth it.
I dont know why so many insist even argue the PS3 is a great (and some say greatest) Blu Ray player out there, sure if you like games and the storage its a good option.
I have never felt a all in one box is better than a dedicated unit designed to just one thing great, when you stuff 10lbs of crap into a 5lb bag somethings gotta give.
The 3 is loud and average IMHO but it is a solid value for what it is and never would disagree with ones choice.
Any blu-ray player properly designed and integrated to pass 1080p will look the same video wise,with the exception of certain machines capability's to tweak the PQ. Now, as far as audio,thats a whole nuther story...
Aolmrd,

I am TOTALLY with Chadnliz on this one, you are dreaming if you believe video is video! Either that or you have such a small and lame TV that you have no way to discern any difference.
02-02-09: Kennyt
Aolmrd,

I am TOTALLY with Chadnliz on this one, you are dreaming if you believe video is video! Either that or you have such a small and lame TV that you have no way to discern any difference.
Kennyt
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The biggest differences that one will see are the quality of the bd transfers and the tv in use.I will say that there are "very small variations", player to player, but an across the board wholesale improvement between players,dream on. If you want to throw good money after bad, well, have at it...

Oh! My tv of choice is the Pioneer kuro pro 150.
"very small variations"...oh I see now it is "small"... a day or so ago, it was "any" as in none looked different...again keep telling yourself that. If you truely believe the power supply, all those little parts, boards, chips, and implementation of all sums is the same for all players then there is no helping you.
Perhaps you have a small cheap monitor, eye problems or a lack of ability to see important details and thats fine but you are helping nobody when you give opinion masked as fact.
very small variations"...oh I see now it is "small"... a day or so ago, it was "any" as in none looked different...again keep telling yourself that. If you truely believe the power supply, all those little parts, boards, chips, and implementation of all sums is the same for all players then there is no helping you.
Perhaps you have a small cheap monitor, eye problems or a lack of ability to see important details and thats fine but you are helping nobody when you give opinion masked as fact.
Chadnliz
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

When I said small,I meant small.And as for having sight problems as you have suggested you apparently can't read,because if you think a Pioneer Kuro Pro150 60 inch PDP is a small cheap monitor ,as you so eloquently state ,then my friend you are the one who needs the "ability to see".

caveat emptor;

The Emperor's New Clothes

Just because you have a nice monitor doesnt mean you can actually see anything. I know a blind guy who has a Meridian Projector..he doesnt impress me either.
You bore me and I am tired of you and your wrong conclusions...feel free to mislead all you wish, you mom must be proud.
2-3-09
You bore me and I am tired of you and your wrong conclusions...feel free to mislead all you wish,
Chadnliz

06-03-05: Chadnliz
RSbeck, good point, everyone can come here with opinions and argue whatever side of the fence they are on, but the poster will surely have alot more info , and in the end everyone is trying to help.
Chadnliz

If only one could believe you...

NUFF SAID.....
I have denon 2500btci with avr4306.
My son has PS3.We try both to my system with same DTS HD master recorded blu-ray disc( verdi AIDA.BB KING Live & Mr Mrs smith).
My denon 2500 is much better sound & slightly better picture.Me & son both agree.
I think PS3 is mainly made for games. and music & movie is secondary.
More to discover