PS: Typical McGowan Sound? -- HCA-2 & Classic 250

The commentary I have read on the HCA-2 has been mixed, but the criticisms I read remind me of the typical criticisms that have been expressed on all of Paul McGowan's designs in the past: An upfront, technicolor upper midrange & lower treble, some harmonic thinness, & a tight, but lean bass.

I'd sooner believe the review on Audiogon than I would KR's review in Stereophile, whose questionable hearing I don't trust.

In looking at the responses to the Audiogon review, it is interesting to see that half the responders love it; the other half hate it. By seeing all of them for sale on 'Gon now, you wonder what the real scoop is.

I'm kind of interested in the CLASSIC 250, which is a non-digital design that has alot of hoopla about it on the PS website. Has anyone heard or bought this amp, or compared it to the HCA-2?
kevziek

Showing 1 response by krellcoda

I agree with Zenaissance about the HCA-2. I use it to drive the Tyler Linbrooks with great results. The amp is very fast, detailed and dynamics with very sweet midrange, tight bass. You could run it all day long and the amp is not even warm when touched. It blows away the Adcom 5802 that I used to own in every way. Make sure to use the amp with a high end PC. It makes a world of difference.