PS Direct Stream Vs. Lumin X 1 Sound quality difference?

I think I'm going to purchase a Lumin X-1 and sell my PS Direct Steam Dac.
Can anyone share their experience with these 2 products, particularly in sound quality?

ozzy
128x128ozzy
@ozzy

First impression, perhaps a little sharp sounding, but its new and I assume a break in adventure is needed.

I know this was written back on July 7 so perhaps this has resolved with burn-in, but I was curious if you have been using the Stillpoints Ultra SS. My U1 sounds so much better without footers (I’ve tried BDR carbon fiber cones and Golden Sounds ceramic cones). I get the richest, dyanmic, while remaining neutral sound simply using a Symposium Segue platform. I’m going to compare to an Ikea bamboo board soon. Cones however just kept giving me a sharp treble edge and stole bass.
three_easy_payments,

Yes, I am using the Stillpoints Ultra SS under the X1. I just tried it without the Stillpoints and I prefer it with the Stillpoints. The SS provide a more focused image in the soundstage.

BTW, the sharpness has disappeared quite a few hundred hours ago. Sounds really good to me.

ozzy
My X1 took well over a month even to start sounding good, and really 2-3 months before becoming exceptional. I have had it now for about 9 months and, seriously, I'm sure it is still improving. I've never before experienced such a dramatic change from running in of any component I have had, and over such a long time. After the first month I still wanted to sell it, and now I cannot imagine how a digital component could sound better.

I tried the isoacoustic footers with my X1 and I also found that it made the sound worse - sucked out the bass and lower midrange and made it sound thin. I just leave it with the stock footers.

I also prefer the ethernet input to the fibre optic cable, which I find a little artificial sounding. I use an Uptone etherRegen with a DH Labs ethernet cable which I found did make an improvement. And I also prefer native file resolution - no upsampling.

Charlie Watts on Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out- "Sympathy For Devil" is just insane!!! Love this version. His drumming, especially after Mick stops singing is sublime...

My hats off to all that contributed to this great thread.

I am contemplating a couple of upgrade options:

1) Lumin X1 stand-alone streamer/DAC 

2) Lumin U1 streamer and an Audio Mirror Trubadour SE III tube DAC.