PS Direct Stream latest firmware, "Snowmass"

Just installed the latest firmware "Snowmass" that is offered by PS Audio and WOW what a difference in sound quality! Wider, deeper soundstage and with increased dynamics. The sound also has such a purity of sound that I just can’t believe.

Right now it is in Beta testing, the firmware should be available to all others Monday at NO cost!

"It’s the gift that keep’s on giving Rusty".

ozzy
128x128ozzy
I own a DS and upgraded to Snowmass.....
The upgrade is an improvement. A nice one and I am very happy. "Is it that much better?" No of course not. The DS was already a wonderful DAC and the improvements are incremental. But it is easy to get excited when you listen to say a Simon & Garfunkel recording that you know in and out, and hear the clear chunka-chunka of a rythm guitar you never heard before.... yes you knew it was there, but now it is a distinct instrument. For this, we audio nerds get really excited.
Regarding the upgradability of their DS DACs: what is there not to like? But, don’t assume it is charity. With each new release, they get press and more sales for virtually none of the investment of a new product. Ted does not get paid to do the software development but makes money on sales. At some point, the development will stop....even if this new upgrade is the last one, I am very happy as it is. Personally, I suspect there are more gains to be had by upgrading the analog amps.... but that is just my assumption.
There are few hi fi products I have purchased in the last 40 years that I have been very pleased with... this PS Audio DS DAC is one of them.

I think they are running a sale right now.... you should check it out.
Peace,Bruce in Philly
Viewing the PS Audio Forum, I don’t think there has been a single person that is not satisfied about this firmware upgrade. Excuse me, not just satisfied but raving about the improvement!
To me, it’s almost like listening to the original studio recording.
Thank you PS Audio.

ozzy
Fantastic fix. Sounds like they have finally fully addressed the low frequency performance issues identified by JA in Stereophile’s review. It has taken several firmware upgrades.

Is it available for DS Junior?
This is a significant upgrade. I listened to my system just before I upgraded it. Snowmass has better imaging and is smoother with vocals. It eliminated a harsh, eteched trailing edge on vocals that would present itself occasionally.  I am still listening.