PS Audio PP300 works great, but......

Seasons greetings. I hooked up my brand new PP300 last night. If I listen critically and technically, I can clearly state that it does EVERYTHING they say it does. Much blacker background, Much tighter bass, Much greater detail and instrument space. However, even though all of these things are done better than I ever imagined, I find the music to be less involving. Has anybody else had this experience? Will it get better with break-in? I don't want to give up all of these benefits, but I want my musicality back. FYI: Sonic Frontiers T3/P3, BAT VK5i, BAT VK500, Dynaudio Confidence 5.
metaphysics

Showing 2 responses by sagger

Meta: Sometimes more musical is less detailed. The P-300 definately adds more detail & instrument space with a blacker background as you word it. If your not used to it it might seem etched & possibly fatiqueing. Some feel it thins things out which may be that bass tightening you mentioned. I personaly found the P-300 to make a substantial sonic improvement. You probably as I had no idea what a diffence it would make. It certainly does make things sound very different, something you are not used to. Less involving???...not for me. In fact quite the opposite. Give it more time & than take it out of your system. I think you'll find yourself putting back rather quickly. Than again, it's not for everyone. Only you know if it's for you. Best...Sagger
Meta: That's a great system you have there. Certainly very capable of producing high resolution. Being a detail freak, I would think you would you would absolutley love the P-300. It definatley allowed me to hear more detail in my system. I'm a little confused about your laid back comment. If anything I found the P-300 to give a more forward presentation, although I would not label it as being forward. You may have somthing there with the recordings your listening to. I'm not familiar with Mapleshade, but have several Chesky's & yes I would consider them laid back. So with that, I would think it's your source. The musicians & intruments now playing in isolation I would think has to do with the blacker background you mentioned earlier. Not such a bad thing as long as it does not seem to exaggerated. Like most of us audiophiles you have a new toy & your obviously listening very hard at every little thing. IMHO more detail is never a bad thing as long as the presentation does not come across as too bright. Again I think you need to give it more time. Try a wide range of different recordings. You have spent the time to carefully build a great sytem to suit your personal needs. Especially if detail is critical to you, I think over time you will grow to appreciate the P-300 & consider it an essential part of your sytem. Hope this helps. Enjoy...Sagger