PS Audio PCA-2 upgrade replacement options

I'm running this with the optional HCPS. It sounds pretty good but I'm always looking for something better. Would a used Pass X-1 be any improvement? Any other recommendations? I want to stay with balanced SS and could spend up to 5k. The amp is a Wyred 4 Sound ST-500 which I just got and really like. Synergy would of course be important.
rocket323
Hey Khyber, thanks for your response. I got the PS Audio PCA/HCPS/HCA-2 combo the same way you did. I traded the Cullen modded HCA-2 in on the Wyred 4 Sound amp. BIG improvement in detail and bass extension. I have two MF X10v3s! One for the cd player and one for the DVD player (plus the optional power supply.) I have an unopened one in the closet plus two sets of replacement tubes. Yeah, I'm obsessive about them. Since the replacement tubes are solder in rather than plug in, does it take a specially trained tech to do replace them? I'm useless at soldering. Your're right about the green grass. I've thought about new cables, but with all the choices and the massive markups, it seems overwhelming. I am thinking about speakers too. My Snell D's are eleven years old. I love them, but ... Am thinking about either Joseph 25XL or Gershman Sonogram. I will do a lot of auditioning! The local dealer offers try 'em at home. That's a big plus.
Rocket, you are fortunate to have a local dealer to work with. I in audio wasteland, hence my "proceed with caution". I admit that I have given some thought of listing the HCA-2 on this site. They are one of the better values for $700, give or take. That would free up almost enough bucks to try the small W4S and still keep the AE-25. Did I say obsessive? check out Element Cable, great value, long break in. Peace
Rocket, I meant to suggest Signalcable. I am very happy with both performance and appearance. I do not disregard Element Cable but I have not tried their product. Peace
Khyber, I have LOTS of Signalcable in my system. Frank gives a lot of bang for the buck. Have you talked with Walter at Underwood HiFi about trading your HCA-2 for the W4S? That's what I did. I have bought six or seven pieces from him since '03. He is very honest and fair. Check out his site. He lists stuff on Audiogon too. Later.