PS Audio P500 Yes? -No?

Anyone have experience they can share on the latest version PS Audio P500? This is the unit w/ MMWII, the new servo system, Auto Wave, and System Clean. Sounds like I should have one but it all seems like a bit of an overpromise. I know my gear and electrical matters at my home have an impact. But I am sure grateful for any informed opinions you all might have. Thanks.
sit

Showing 1 response by jsawhitlock

I had a p-600 that I used only for front end gear, it worked great. The p-600 never ran hot just warm to the touch. I recently sold the p-600 and in it's place added the p-500 as it's now placed on my equipment rack. The p-500 runs a bit warmer than my old p-600 I think due to the smaller chassis design and less output but still works great with my equipment. I consume about 200 watts or approx. 47% of the p-500. I use the sine wave mode most of the time and every now and then I use tube wave. I keep the voltage set at 120 volts as this yields the best sound. On my p-600 I had the multi wave II plus (cleaning thing) my tube preamp made a wierd noise when I used that feature, don't no why but I did like the result it made but stopped using the cleaning feature as I didn't want to damage my tube preamp. I have been using power plants for the past three years and when I made the switch from the p-600 to the p-500 and was without a power plant for a few days that's when I really noticed how much they really do improve the sound. For my system I have a dedicate line > porter port > p-500 > power director > Preamp, phono stage, TT motor, D/A and transport as this is the best set up for me. As with my amps I don't connect them to the power plant but use a UPC 200 for each amp istead and a dedicated line for each UPC 200. If you buy used and don't like it you can always sell it and get most if not all your money back. Happy Listening!