PS Audio P500 opinions/experiences

Hello

I am considering the purchase of a P500 AC regenerator and would encourage you input as to the impact and validity of what the unit is said to do. There are 4 outlets that do regenerating and 2 that are an Ultimate outlet. What would you plug into what? What kind of power cord would you use? What other companies offer this type of technology? Is it all about how they market it or does it actually work? I use a dual mono amp with 2 power cords, a 3 channel amp, tube preamp, processor, tube CD player and a DVD player. Thanks. Dave
canucks0

Showing 1 response by frano

I have used a P500 for about a year. I have a solid state amp and a tube pre amp. I have used it with the amp plugged into the regen section but after a while I ended up plugging the amp into the UO. I haven't decided what is best with my preamp and I change my mind often, sometimes use my pre amp in the UO and sometimes the regen section. If you use a Juice Bar($200) you will need another power cord like the Plus cable, so add another $200 for that. If you buy a P500, the most important thing to do is use a very good power cord from the P500 to the wall. Use a Plus or a Statement or some other very good power cable. If you don't want to spend the extra $200 to $500 on a very good power cord, it isn't worth using the P500. That is something PS Audio doesn't tell you right up front. They send it to you with a cheap cord that does not help the P500 at all. At least Shunyata Hydra makes you use a decent power cord.

Pro: makes the background so BLACK it's amazing ! It can make your system sound very mellow and similar to tube sound,in the Tube wave mode. It's small vs P300 and has Auto Wave. I use it to turn on the equipment plugged into it. It has the ultimate outlet built in.

Con: It does take away some of the dynamics if you plug your amp into it. Smaller sound stage. Maybe too mellow in Tube wave. Has a fan but it is a very quiet fan.

Conclusion: Like all audio equipment, everything sounds different in different systems.

I hope I helped confuse you more.
Cheeers!