PS AUDIO P500 as a Turntable speed controller?

Analog Guru's out there:

Could I use the P500 Power Plant Regenerator as a turntable speed controller in my case? I am using the Michell Orbe SE - AC Motor with the larger PS not the newer DC Motors.

Its states by PS Audio themself that:

"Every Power Plant has always had the ability for the user to choose a frequency that best suits his systems needs, or perhaps used as a motor controller for an AC synchronous turntable"

Appreciate any advise or anyone doing this.

Ravi
rapogee

Showing 1 response by quiddity

Hevac

You said "do not use the dual f(r)eq option, AC motors do not like it, they can and will fail if used".

I have no experience of running the PS Audio units being discussed so this may be true of them but it is certainly not true of frequency controllers in general.

AC synch motors can usually be run at a wide range of speeds using frequency control if the controller is designed to achieve this and due respect is given to the heat load and mechanical aspects (eg bearings). A range of 50 - 150% of spec is considered conservative.

Of course if you use a single phase control then the value of the cap on the motor will be wrong for all but one frequency. This may be the cause of some of the failures you predict.

Mark Kelly