PS Audio DirectStream DAC measurements by ASR

ranjithkp
@elberoth2
Thanks for the link to the review.  Ugghh.  Looks like I made a bad choice in buying the Stellar Gain Cell DAC/pre-amp.  Interestingly, when using the DAC function, it sounds pretty good on quiet and simple music, but when the music gets more complex and louder, something just doesn't sound right. Hard to describe it.
I like the functionality of it, in that it is also a pre-amp and has home theater bypass, since it is part of a family room system that is used for both music and movies.  I wonder if there is some similar product that actually has good performance. 

Yes and no
if the proper caveats are included.

Yes and Yes

OK the proper caveat would be

"Trust both ears and measurements as they go hand in hand. That’s the way all good audio equipment is made, with good electronic engineering design and hours of testing and measuring, then listening, and if need be, design changes using measurements/test again and listening again."

Any designer that doesn’t do this, I suggest all to give a very wide birth to, as they are snake oil peddlers.

Cheers George
Yes, agree with @georgehifi Shortlist few dacs which have good sinad measurements. If you are mostly listening to redbook format get something which can resolve minimum 16 bit ie 96DB dynamic range.
From there pick one based on listening impressions, features price.

ASR only likes DACs from obscure makers in China that you’ve never heard of. The site’s owner proudly rejects listenability and many times has stated he never once listens to the equipment he tests.

Even when he does find a mainstream product that shows good test results he finds some other reason to damn them.
Look at the Chord Qutest review. Great results. Really, state of the art results but he doesn’t like it because of the user interface or that it doesn’t have balanced outputs. Yet he will say it ranks at or near the very top of any DAC he’s reviewed - he just can’t recommend it.

Topping. That’s the brand he likes. Everything Topping makes is great. Never heard of them? You dolt! They’re the best in the world.
I would tell PS Audio - be happy ASR hates your gear. It must be great.
ASR only likes DACs from obscure makers in China that you’ve never heard of.
This is BS, he is the only one that gives unbiased and almost complete set of test measurements.
He says he doesn't say what he likes and dislikes the sound of , because it would be subjective only.
He is there to supply for those "fortunate to understand them", completely unbiased sets of measurements.
And for those that don't/can't understand them, TO BAD! make an effort to learn how to read them. 

Cheers George