PS Audio BHK 250 - Is it still a good amp?

I want to move away from tube power amps, but not tubes in source components.
Have read so much good about the BHK 250, but it’s an old lady now, and I wounder if there is something better out there for the same money.

This is what I want form a new amp.
  • Power to drive any speaker
  • Sound that reassembly tubes
  • In the same price range as the BHK

My current speakers are the Tekton DI, 4 ohm with a sensitivity of 96db. Would like to have a amp that can drive a 87 db speaker.
I also don’t want think about replacing expensive tubes, and live with the heat the generate.
There are many used BHK 250 in the states, But I live in Denmark and there are not many used BHK's in Europe

I would like to thank the audiogon community for there knowledge and there willingness to share and help, your are the best (:Just hope that we will get an updated platform to work on. The Audiogon software is so yesterday.
Wish you all a Happy New Year
martin-andersen

Showing 2 responses by aberyclark

I highly suggest buying used OR check and see if any old dealers have a demo, old stock, or trade-in. The unfortunate thing about the current BHK, one could get at a huge discount before PSA went direct. Thus, any resale value would be dismal if you purchased a new one thru PSA without any substantial discount (I would not do a trade in unless it was a component that would be quite difficult to re-sell via used market). I have a BHK pre that is fantastic. I will eventually resale it for a McIntosh c2700 if funds permit. Since I got a huge discount, my resale hit will not be so bad.
There should be no problem with the 250 and the LRS. Maybe quite possible that the owner had the wiring backwards or something. Or one of the speakers or 25o has something defective. I would say many people buying $650 speakers may even be using A/V receivers, or something more economical than the 250.