PS 1000 doesn't seem to isolate as well as expecte

Hi Guys,

I'm a neophyte. Been listening to music forever. Became an audiophile a few years back. Despite my board name, I'm a contemporary jazz listener. I listen to stuff I-tunes doesn't sell. Watercolors is a good idea of what I like. And of course... Keep on Rockin.

I have a couple PS Audio, PS 1000s and a Premier.

I'm listening to Martin Logan SL3s with a PS1000.

I had a wake up call. I turned off a very small light and there was a noticable "Pop" from the speakers. This is unsettling. What do you make of it? It repeated itself.

I just set up a new listening room in a new house. What bliss. It's been 18 months this time that I've been an audio exile.

Right now I'm patching together some stuff.

Q-Sonix 100 (running analogue out) as a source
EAR 868 as a pre-amp
Red Dragon Leviathans amps
Martin Logan SL3 speakers
No special ICs or PCs in the system yet. Onix speaker cables.
Exemplar Extant DAC out for repair.

I'm saving the good stuff...
Epiphany Audio 21-20
Bob Carver/Tim DeParavacini very low production tube amps
Bybees
Virtual Dynamics (I bought Rick Shultz's personal cables)

Plus, I'm going to vinyl. Building a TT based on an 80s Victor 801.

But.. That Pop !!

Any thoughts?

I'm learning.

And loving the heck out of it. I never knew it could be so good.

My thanks in advance,, and,,

Keep on rockin ! :)
keeponrockin

Showing 4 responses by keeponrockin

Yes. everything is plugged into the P-1000 except the swithand light which is across the room. It is a wall monted mini florescent.

It just surprised me so much. I put a lot of faith in the PS elecreical regenerators and the first time it happened...Well I just had to repeat it. The Pop is loud enough to make me feel the amp is at work.

Yesterday I realized it seems like the right channel only. So I'll take some time this evening trying to learn a bit.

I will look into the wires but something tells me to suspect that transformer.

Thanks for suggestions. I'll keep you informed of my progress.

Cheers,
Exactly my thoughts.

I spent some fruitless hours trying to set up a second system this afternoon.

But I did some simple tests. I wouls have no music playing. I turned the light on. I could hear light clicks from the right speaker synchronized w the flickering of the florescent light coming on. Then the loud pop turning off. Same thing three times in a row.

I don't believe it was effecting the left channel. It is further away.

I'm thinking airborne RFI. The powered speaker has something to do with the magnitude of the pop IMO.
Hi there. Sorry to be slow. I thought I had responded.

I switched to the Acoustic Zen Adagio speakers just to hear them again. I did the same test. Same results.

I found an IC on the back of the right amp that seemed loose. The right was and still has the pop.

Changed the ICs and got a much lesser pop on either pair of speakers.

Everything is on the PS1000.

I really believe there is airborne interference because of these tests. It's not so bad now (much less)w a different set of ICs.

Thanks all for your help. I hope to be of some value here myself.
Oh yes. One more thing. The soundstage on the SL3s is indeed very large, and one of the reasons I have them.