Processor ?

So I have made the decision on my mains...I am purchasing some JM Labs Cobalt 816s, with the CC800 center. I don't have the surrounds picked out yet, but probably go with the JM monitors. The JMs sounded real good to me, and I can run them from a reciever just fine as they are pretty efficient. I am also going with a Velodyne SPL1000 sub, so I don't need power from the reciever to run it.

My question is this:
Right now on Audiogon, there is a Denon AVR5800 for $1550, and a B&K AVR307 for $2000. What is the better deal, or more importantly, what will be a better match for my speakers? Are there other brands I should be looking at ina reciever (maybe NAD or Rotel?)

Thanks,
Z
zstokes

Showing 1 response by danielk141

Can you hold out a while? Sherbourn is supposed to come out with a processor for $1500.00 that will include Dolby Pro Logic 2. The REF 30 is $2800.00 & they say they won't add Pro Logic 2 anytime soon...
I installed my new Sherbourn 5/1500A amp last Sunday, it is excellent with my (admittedly dated) B&K AVP 3090.
I don't know if the Sherbourn processor will come close to the REF 30 in bass management, but if it's as well thought out as their amp, it should be an excellent buy.
I'll audition it as soon as my local dealer gets it.