Processor and amp or AVR?

Currently using a Pioneer Elite SC 07 AVR feeding a Pioneer Elite Kuro plasma with Def Tec speakers in a 3 channel configuration - L,R,C.  Open floor plan not a good room hence only 3 channels.

Primary source streaming through Apple.   Set up is old technology but still delivers great entertainment.  I've tried to wait to upgrade my audio until my Plasma gives out but thankfully it still delivers an excellent picture.

If you were me would you consider a major audio upgrade to separates or the latest AVR? Or wait until a TV change?

In your experience is there even an audio upgrade when it comes to streaming TV (my 2 channel is analog only so no experience)

How many amplifiers besides the Mcintosh 303 has 3 channels?

Greatly appreciated for any input/feedback....

pops

I'm loving my Anthem MRX 540 right now.  The Anthem Room Correction works really well, with caveats, really well and an ideal platform to use if you think you might add a subwoofer.

I'm using it through my Luxman integrated.  The MRX drives the center and surrounds, while sending a line level to the Luxman for L and R.  I can't tell you how great it is once set up.

What's floor plan got to do?  Hang rears from the ceiling. Bigger than a Minimus 7 is as wasteful as a plasma TV on power.

If the open floor plan is on a slab, then I suppose that the three channel makes sense.

Our house now has a crawl space under the room, so I went with a Lyngdorf as I haven’t had a HT set up, and the XLRs allow one to run the signals to amps closed to the speakers, and use minimal length speaker wires.

Anthem, Marantz, etc. all do the same basic stuff, so if you need three channel that is easier than 5,7 or more.

Basically if you are happy with 3 channels, and also physically limited to three channels… then why change things?

If you were me would you consider a major audio upgrade to separates or the latest AVR? Or wait until a TV change?

I think planning it now makes sense.
And by the time the TV goes, you should be closer to having a good plan.

There are so many options, and constraints, that it is not easy to find the optimum.

But as you say:

Set up is old technology but still delivers great entertainment.

So it doesn’t seem like much can happen upgrading a 3 channel to a newer 3 channel. I would save the $ for then the TV dies and not rush it myself.

Plus the supply chain issues still have me awaiting gear… so nothing is complete, and I am over a half a year into it.

I don’t think your system warrants an investment in separates.  I’d recommend a Yamaha AVR as they offer relatively very good sound and excellent reliability.  Best of luck.