Problems with U.P.S.

I have had five problems with ups in two months. They have lost cod checks, destroyed a package that was packed in a crate, and even delivered a package to a completely diffirent address that was on the label. They even accepted a bank check with the wrong name on it. I am the only one having problems with them? Any recommendation on alternate shipping companies would be appreciated.
hobbes05
Well, I am sure if you have browsed the for sale section of AgN you have seen hellohifi's ads where it states: "NO UPS, NO UPS, NO UPS"? We have used UPS 1 time this year, just once, and we have had 1 problem. Customer told us he wanted his shipment shipped with his UPS service on his acct. We offered to ship it DHL 1 day air and only charge him half the regular rate (which ends up being about 10% more than UPS greound!), but he insisted that his UPS service pick it up and ship it on his acct. We told him if he would like this done, we will not be responsible for any problems resulting from UPS and will address the shipment to AND from him, the recipient, to avoid any entaglements with a possible UPS claim. He told us he had never had a problem, had shipped several hifi items with UPS before, and wasn't worried about it. Well, surprise! Unit arrived damaged, so he claims, and now he wants: us to file a claim, he wants us to take the unit back, and is searching (reaching) for any loop hole he can find to make this happen. Hmm. Well, lets see, we agreed to one thing, his shipping service damaged the item, and now he wants us to absorb this problem? If he would have picked it up, and dropped it on the way home, would he be asking for the same? Funny how when you agree to one thing, and if it doesn't work out for the other person, they decide they would like to alter the agreement. We ship it with our service, we are responsible. Someone wants to have an item picked up and shipped with their service, and are even told in advance that WE will not be responsible if they make that decision, then they are responsible. There's much more to this story, but those are the basic facts. Yes, if he's reasonable we will help him with his claim, but that will be it. UPS strikes again, this time on an $8,450 item. We will NEVER use UPS again, on anyone's acct, for any reason, to ship anything, anywhere. Please don't ask. For the record, just last month an item was drop shipped to a customer of ours, with one of our shipping services on our acct. It arrived damaged. What did we do? Asked the customer to return it, and already sent him a full refund and have even just mailed him a check for the return shipping charges. We shipped (had the item drop shipped for us), so we were responsible for getting it there. It's that simple. Remember this: NO UPS, NO UPS, NO UPS, and this: www.dhl-usa.com . You get what you pay for.
I manufacture a record cleaning product, which utilizes bottles manufactured in Italy, and distributed to me out of the Bay area. Every time I order these glass bottles, which hold a substance labled LP#9, the box shows up beat ALL TO HELL. The distributor will only send UPS for one reason or another, so everytime my double boxed order is received, I worry. I am a small business, and sometimes with the other (real) business, I can't wait on a UPS guy to show up. So, when this happens, they just leave a beat to shit package with "Caution, Glass Contents" written all over it. Now , how much sense does that make? How about I come by your house and f-up your goodies?
I must lead a charmed life (knock on wood) I have bought and sold 8 to 10 items over the last year or three and so far UPS has worked fine. Sounds like statistically I am due for a rude surprise. Suppose I will check out the DHL/Fedex option and pay a bit more for ground.
I agree that UPS isn't all that great. My item was destroyed once, but UPS actually payed more for it than I had it insured for (since I had it insured for the actual value, which was below the replacement cost). BUT I'VE BOUGHT AND SOLD MANY ITEMS SINCE THEN THRU UPS, AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS. Perhaps it depends on what part of the country you're in, as to where UPS can do a decent job, or not. Anyway, I've posted some angry stuff elsewhere on here (perhaps), but the above comment by "[email protected]" shouldn't go unnoticed by those thought police that don't like to see people vent anything remotely vulgar on this site....
I had loudspeakers shipped from Europe to the East Cost with 2nd Day delivery option: - first time, the boxes disappeared (no one could tell us what happens) - second time, one of the box and its content was damaged. On top of this, UPS was not dealing in a fair and efficient way with this!