Problems with my Tri-Vista 300--Need some help

My new Tri-Vista integrated has worked beautifully for a month, but yesterday, for the first time, I discovered that no sound is coming through the right terminals into the speaker. I tried shifting speakers and cables around and found that it has to originate with the amp. The amp has two sets of binding posts, but in changing the speaker cables to either of them, I've still gotten no sound out of the right side. Could this be a problem with an internal fuse, and if so, and since I have no MF dealers here in Korea (I bought off the net), what might be my options in terms of getting the amp repaired? Any suggestions?
washline
Timf, I thank you very much for your post. It seems as though our problems are very comparable both in development and solution. Like I said, who can truly grasp the strangeness of circuits and electricity. Even the best equipment can develop such strange, seemingly uncaused problems.
check that. Inexplicably, the source selector has started to work properly again. Don't know why. Who can figure out the idiosyncrasies of circuits and electricity. I'll keep my fingers crossed in hopes that the selector continues to work properly. In any case, what a gorgeous sounding amp.
Washline,
My Denon does the source selector thing! The most annoying thing! I had been extremely busy, and then very tired, and then when I felt up to dealing with it it stopped as mysteriously as it started. Funny thing- I thought I would be relieved to read that someone else had this problem, and I am in part. But it is frustrating not to understand how my amplifier works- as it must be for you, especially when everyone must seem miles out of reach and real information a real commodity. It puts my situation in a new light, and I thank you for that. I wish I could tell you I had your amplifier( for all sorts of reasons) and that I knew why the source selector behaves this way and what to do about it. I would love to tell how to deal with that. I would love to be of some help! All I can really do though is admire the intelligence and patience you have displayed in sorting out your problems. The input selector chip seems a reasonable quess. Hopefully others here have had this problem and will be able to help you figure it out, and that MF will offer some insight too. In the meantime, even as my lowly, but much beloved Denon is behaving itself I am resolved I will learn something about these amplifier related quirks, and if I learn anything soon enough and reliably enough I will try to pass on what I have learned. I am sorry you have to put up with all this ( my long post included) and I wish you luck.
I want to thank everyone once again for your replies on this thread. I managed to get my amp back today with new tubes. Indeed, the original trivistors were faulty and are now replaced. Probably the first instance of bad tubes on this gear.

Secondly, there is indeed a big problem with the source selector on this machine now. Wasn't when I initially took it into the shop, but I don't doubt the repairman's integrity. I brought it back home and when i turn it on, it travels the circuit around the sources, but rather than settling on the most recent source, as normal, it starts to click repeatedly against either the top or bottom of the source array. I finally grabbed the selector and tried to forceably put it on the proper source. Finally, it stopped this strange behavior and I could listen to music again. I'm going to have to get a new selector chip and replace it in the amp. Has anyone else had a similar problem with this amp? Thanks.
Washline,

They probably want to see the originals if they are going to replace for free. I was told when I bought my TriVista that I could order a second set any time, that they set aside an extra pair for each unit.
Thanks Chris. Looks like I may have finally hit paydirt over here. Triode Electronics in Chicago finally came through after two weeks it seems. Going to have these tubes on Friday. I was getting worried after substantial waiting that they wouldn't be able to get them. Ordered ten for six dollars each. Cheapest I've seen: www.triodeelectronics.com

MF will supply the tubes but they want to see the originals first. At least that's what the dealer said in Hong Kong. Pretty inconvenient. I'll post again after I get them by fedex next week and take them to the shop.
Washline
But cant MF supply you with the spare tubes ? I thought they had one extra set per amp manufactured or was it the Nu Vistas ? I cant remember....Perhaps you can try Wim Bouwman at Mr Valve in South Africa,my local tube supplier,chances are slim but I think worth a shot ...mail is [email protected]
Chris
Quick update. Looks like the local repair guy will be able to replace the tubes without a hitch. He tested them and said two were faulty. Called MF and they said it was their first experience with such a thing. Meanwhile, I have an order in with a tube company out of Chicago, which is temporarily out of stock. Also checked with two other companies, including Tubeworld, both out of stock. Tubeworld told me to check back in a month!

So the latest is that I'm having to wait an inordinate amount of time because the seemingly readily available tubes have been bought out for the time being. Amp has been waiting in the shop now for two weeks. Anybody have a couple of tubes to spare me? Thanks.
thanks for all the replies, everybody. We don't need to get into the merits or lack thereof of MF gear. I think they make great stuff and have a lot of integrity. But this is a rather odd problem that shouldn't be happening with a new piece of gear.

Merganser, I too, thought there were only four tubes in the amp located in the preamp stage. that's what I saw when I opened it up, but he said there were two more. Very strange. I'm going to the shop tomorrow to check out the problem. And I suspect you are very right about the source selector.

Jeffjarvis, I checked all the fuses out and the problem isn't there. While there are scams in many places in the world, I sincerely don't think this is the problem here. this guy does an incredible amount of repairs in this market with all kinds of gear.

thanks for all of your concern. I'll keep you posted as to how all of this develops. Best wishes on the new year.
Get a second opinion from another repair shop.
I live in Asia and there is no end to the scams.
Gotta keep your BS Meter set on high sensitivity at all times.
The estimated problems could be exagerated by the repair man in an attemt to get his hands on this amp.
Did he offer to buy it from you?
I would not be suprised if it was just a fuse.
Dear Wasline,
It is called 5703 tube. Tube world sells them for 9.99. They are still used in microphones. Frankly I would be suspicious of the tech who told you they went bad. If they did there is probably something very wrong with the amp.
Kevziek
Will be an expensive endeavour to send back to the net dealer,whether guaranteed or not,as the amp is neither small or light.Still think the best to have it repaired in Korea by MF importers,if represented there.Do not know if they are or whether they would repair a "Grey " import.Still there must be a capable amp repair shop there.Perhaps should try someone else,locally.These things happen....(My Merc E320 needed a new engine at 28000 km ,factory fault.Should not happen but does.Sold the Merc.)

Let us know how you are progressing,Washline

Chris
Why don't you have the dealer who sold it to you off the internet get it fixed? Or is this guy not an authorized MF dealer? This sucks. You bought it new, it should be warrantied.
Bluebull,

I'm a fan of a lot of gear and very aware of Sam Tellig's affections. I'm also glad you're happy with your choices, sorry if I misunderstood a few of your comments. We both know this kind of thing can happen with any piece of gear, it shouldn't, but stuff happens. I think we'd both agree at this point that Washline needs to get the amp to an authorized service center before somebody screws it up further.

Best Regards,
Merganser
Merganser

Sorry,but you are a bit oversensitive regarding my contribution.Seems like you are a MF fan,nothing wrong with that,they make good stuff.
Now,concerning my "little digs" , as you call it.One months use before repairs are needed,is not acceptable,for any piece of equipment.This is an expensive amplifier.Sam Tellig is a big MF fan, go and read a bit...it is a fact."Belie your envy",no not really,very happy with my equipment.Not likely to ever go to MF as the local importers pricing is way to high and the back up/service is also not good.
So not trying to second guess Washlines purchase.Fact is it is still not working...and I really think he wants it fixed.

So,actually we are really batting for the same team....

Washline,I hope you get the amp fixed,soon.

Hope this clarifies matters.

Chris
Dear Washline,

Number one MF has plent of "tri-vistor" tubes. Number two the "tri-vistor" is a made up name for a tube that I believe is still in production or at least still available at many places. On the MF web sites one of the reviews that you can download has the noame of the tube printed. It is made by raytheon and costs about 20 bucks
Washline,

Get the amp back from the shop, the guy doesn't know what he's talking about. There are only 4 tubes in the amp and I'd be willing to bet that he doesn't understand that the selector is suppose to run though the relays when it's turned on. I sent you info on where to send it, if you need that info again, just ask.

Bluebull, your little digs just belie your envy. Washline has a top notch piece of gear, stop trying to make him second quess his purchase. It's not helping matters.
Sounds like it might have been damaged in shipment, or you were sold damaged goods. The source selector problem should be unrelated. For some reason they designed the TriVista so that the source selector spins each time you turn on the unit. Mine sometimes ends up back at the wrong source. A minor problem. Every TriVista has a spare set of tubes available from MF. You only have to give MF the serial number and you can purchase the second set of tubes. Don't know the cost.
Washline

Sorry to hear,see no alternative but to have it fixed by official MF importers,have you contacted them ?Dont think 2 tubes in a month is acceptable....Hope Sam Tellig of Stereophile, is reading this about his beloved brand....
Hope you get it fixed.

Chris
This has gotten quite ugly. I took the amp in for repairs to a shop in the electronics market here that handles all kinds of brands. I just got a call last evening with some very bad news. It seems that two of the six trivistor tubes used in the amp have gone bad already--only a bit more than a month after my purchase and brand spanking new. He also said the source selector wasn't working properly and would need to be replaced, but naturally he doesn't have spare parts for the machine because trivistor tubes simply aren't floating around. These tubes are supposed to last twenty years! How could they go kaput in only a month? What am I to do?
Thanks Merganser. I really like the amp and want the problem fixed. I tried contacting MF by phone and they're hard to reach these days--probably because of the holidays. Are there any other ways to contact them other than the one phone number posted on their website? Thanks.
Pop the top and check for a loose RCA cable connection inside. MF uses quite a few of these internal cables in the Tri-Vista and one could have come loose. Overall, MF gear is some pretty reliable stuff with very good customer service.
Washline
Problem with MF,reliability.Perhaps small problem,open up the amp and see if fuse or fuses still intact,if not ,easy to repair,just check the fuse rating on the fuse(My Pathos Logos has 6 fuses in total).Check the minuature tubes.If cant find problem there,try to get fixed locally,must be some reputable repair places in your Country.Try to avoid sending to another Country due to cost.Try not to send to MF as may refuse to repair as bought "Grey ".Dont know what their policy are.
All amps basically work on the same principals so should be easy to solve the problem.
Good Luck.
Chris