Problems with my Berning ZH270

Don´t know what happen with my Berning ZH270 amp. I have Merlin VSM-M speakers and Electrocompaniet CD player. The amp is very fast and clear, but also bright, bright, bright.
I have tried Cardas Golden Reference interconnects, Nordost SPM speaker cables (and much more wires), without any improve. I have just add a LA-100 Joule preamp and things are now better, but not enough.
Tube rolling?. Another amp?. Wich amp (I would like to keep my new Joule preamp). Thank you.
George
georgegonzalezzd5e2

Showing 3 responses by lrsky

What we have here is the fable of the eight blind men describing an elephant.
What George needs, is the dreaded, (drum roll and oooooh's)Brick and Mortar store guy with a brain larger than a peanut. They are difficult to find I know, since I traveled over the country for THIEL as Director of Sales for a while, and visited more than 100 stores.
Joe, er, a George, stated that it is bright sounding. I have a friend (former) who has this exact ststem, and while it is not my taste, it is not inherently bright. The Merlins lack weight below 50hz (read impact and tonality) in the room I heard them in and with this equipment. (Note the caveats there)
Disassemble the system, clean all connections.When finished first try another speaker in the system (bookshelf if you have to) and see if the sound persists. (Bookshelf since it likely has less bass) This will let you know if the problem is coming through some elevated sound/combination/flaw. Then check as someone astutely pointed out, the law of reciprocity for bass. Bass sounds the same at adjascent relative points. The former friend of mine had a low ceiling, cramped room but benefited from a nearfield experience. This won't allow for bass development, but it sure eliminates lots of other problems. Also, try something like a power conditioner, since we have headed into summer, maybe all the noise in the line generated by the hundreds of air conditioners, are coming through.
Lastly, get another opinion of someone like your wife or significant other. George's problem sounds new, not old. Connections to the BM may have become loose, the batteries low. If this is my former friend, (when I rebuilt his crossover, I may have (since I am now disabled with back problems from surgery) not done the best of jobs on some of the soldering. I know that all the geniuses out there don't want to hear it because unprovable speculation is always more fun than facts, but great dealers are worth their weight in gold.(ie, I hate this shit, take it back)
Good Luck George, but for God's sake don't run out and buy a bunch of crap. Start back from scratch, putting the system back like it was before you began the problem, then work forward til its there.
Larry R. Staples
As a follow up. George's statement was conclusion selective. He blames the amp for the problem, and offers no explanation of any actions he may have taken to solve the problem. To reiterate, start over and keep adding pieces until the problem manifests itsself again, using replacement speakers if necessary to replicate the problem.
My earlier comments about the Brick and mortar guys was a little harsh, but unfortunately true. They have created such a false mystique around this stuff, in their pseudo intellectual approach, that everyone with an opinion is an expert since no imperical evidence to the contrary exists in some of these obtuse areas.
The fun in this business is the chase, I know because I am still chasing that Holy Grail. But so what, my liquor intake is eaten up with audio expenditures now, even with my professional accommodation pricing. But I will continue to look.
George if you want private consultation email me personally at [email protected] I have solved problems like this hundreds of times, most often without additional expense. Oh, but the chase....... What did Spock say, "You will soon find that wanting is much greater than having."
Larry R. Staples
I own a Gryphon Callisto, and I can tell you that the Berning does not go nearly as deep, linearly as the Gryphon. The speakers in question, the Merlins don't even go there,(don't get me wrong I have known Bob P. since 1987 and love him. He is one of the good guys and a brilliant designer) so this description has to be an abberation. First of all, a lack of bass, can sound like more control, and this would have to be the answer. Plus, try using the Gryphon with a pair of speakers which can actually go down into the 16hz reqion, like the VSA 4 HSE III, this is the better way to judge bass control. Saying this, would be analagous to saying that a Volkswagen Beetle does not handle well at 240 mph, it doesn't happen, so there is no basis for judgement.