Problem with NPR

Listening to recent WI Public Radio recent fund drive they received thousands of donations from 49 states and 50 countries(not popular in Alaska) .
No doubt many came from folks who cycled through one of the worlds greatest research universities ,UW- Madison, but I suspect many 'philes are in on WPR as well.

They send an uncompressed signal and use Teac Esoteric players as well as SP-10's with what looked like, when I was there a few years ago anyway, Sumiko arms with Denon 103's.

Programming is OUTSTANDING , on -air folks are musicans and scholars that say just what you need to know and no more.
All complete works, no bleeding chunks, every facet of classical music from every age and style, in their 50K item library. Often live music , perfectly miked in superb studios.
My problem? I live few miles from their 300 foot tower for Western WI and I can find no way to beat the sound of their signal , nor can several friends who have much more expensive systems than I .
Classical is from 9AM to 3PM Central and 8PM to 5AM Central weekdays , mucho specials and MET on weekends.
If any "steamers" out there I'd love your opinions .
Mine is WPR is best in nation, I know, fact certain they beat anything in Germany and UK, about the only thing I can think of here that does.
schubert

Showing 1 response by jsd52756

I am glad you brought this up. I listen to Radio Paradise almost every day. The fidelity is astounding. I emailed them asking what do they do to make it sound so darn good. Bill was nice enough to respond. He uses hi res digital lossless music almost exclusively, processed through an Orban Optimod PC card. While my digital music sounds superb through my Benchmark DAC, Radio Paradise makes beautiful music as well. So good when I go to turn it off at night I end up turning it up.
-John