Problem with Home Theater Volume

This is driving me absolutely nuts, and is getting worse with time.

In surround sound modes my system has a major lack in overall volume. Set at max, I mean max, the loudest passages in a movie hits 95db at most. The problem is getting worse and worse and I am at a loss.

I have tried different DVD players, different digital cables/inputs, different power conditioners, different ac circuit for the pre amp to be plugged into, different amp ac circuit, different power cords. The late night mode is not on, I have reset all the settings to factory defaults in case I goofed something up.

Any ideas? The amp is 200x7 only using 5 channels and the speakers sensitivity is 90.5db.

Thanks
Marty
marty9876

Showing 6 responses by marty9876

No "sterring" that I know of. Basic level controls for each channel.

Simaudio Attraction processor
Simaudio Titan amp

Thanks
Marty

Thanks for the input. The weird part is when I got the gear, I could easily over drive the speakers/myself. Things got very loud. Electronics don't usually degrade, which is the hard part. Watching the same movies, same room, same gear, using a spl meter to confirm I am not going nuts. The part in "Enemy at the Gate" where the bombs are falling on the factory, big explosions ect. the unit it maxed and the meter is maxing out at 95dbs. Really average volume. I should be able to shoot the speaker drivers across the room...

I wear manuals out, they really can be useful. More than once I have at a later date paged thru one and said, wish I had know that.

I have reset all the settings to factory defaults, using the manuals procedure. The Sim has very few settings, you would be surprised. The digital inputs do not, as far as I can tell, have looked specifically for this, input trim. The analog inputs do. I have not found that I have needed to use these. I also have the Simaudio Stellar cd/dvd player and use the analog outs for all 2ch listening.

Side note, boy 2ch can get addicting.

In two channel play back using analog pass thru I an not sure if things are right. The system gets louder, with the woofers in the mains seem to bottom out at around 105db. This is another topic, I thought the system should hit 120 but that is for another thread. Using the analog/digital inputs in "stereo" mode leads to the same basic results as analog pass thru.

The amp has no settings...on/off

I would like to eliminate all the possible errors on my end before sending the unit in. It could be the surround circuits are messed up. The worsening over time part really leads me to think I am doing something wrong. Electronics usually do not react in this fashion, but anything is possible. Voltage is stable, 120-121v. Dedicated lines, I have tried different lines, no difference.

I tested the voltage output(rca output) of the processor in analog pass thru with a "full weighted"(? test disc with the max output -0db 1kz sine wave) with the processor volume at -0 and the output was a touch over 8 volts. Should blow up any amp.

Just for reference the processor has a digital true logarithmic scale. -0db max.

The room is 16x24x8, average room. Speakers are Meadowlark Heron-i's for the front three. New rears are on order, currently 3.2 system. Inputs used are the BNC digital, coax rca digital(different dvd player), rca analog, optical for sat(tried from dvd, same), XLR to amp.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. This just does not seem right, I guess the next step is to find out what's bad, the processor or the amp. Any ideas for controlled tests are appreciated. I have a old 2ch Denon 200x2 amp I was going to play with.

Marty
One interesting thing learned, with the rear speakers turned off the processor seems to cut the output for all channels by 5db's. I flip the settings and can hear a difference.

Reset all settings to factory defaults, with rears on(I physically do not have any hooked up), the opening battle in "Gladiator" maxes out at 100-105db's. The voltage output on the amp end is between 30-35volts. This is loud, just worries me that this is at the max volume settings, -0. A month before -10 was producing insane spl levels.

The unit does not have an automatic attenuating, the reset to defaults should clear this I would assume.

Thanks for the help.
Marty
I was looking at peak volume levels. All numbers listed were peaks.

Multiple problems are not fun to deal with. I do have a second set of speakers to play with, good old Cerwin Vegas...

Thanks
Marty
I threw in the vegas and the vegas play way louder. I don't know the sensitivity of the vega's or the impendence of the Heron-i's so it's hard to tell what is happening.

Marty
Darryl- I missed you post. Currently the system is a 3.2 setup with the rears on order. All the channels act in this fashion. The center is 1-2db below the mains...The tv feed is basically the same, louder in 2ch playback with severe drop in surround modes.

I have the rears ordered from Meadowlark, Osprey's- 3 way floor tower type. When these come I should be able to compare and give Meadowlark clear reading from two different products.

Meadowlark wanted to know the output voltage under load, and now I have that info. Time to chat with them.

Thanks all
Marty