Problem with Esoteric service

Hello all. I recently bought an Esoteric UX3SE from another site. It arrived intact. After giving it 24 hours to warm up, I settled in for a listen. It sounded great. However, the next day as I went to listen I found that the unit didn't want to read many of my perfect CDs. I verified that the discs played on other units. Still, the Esoteric gave the message "no disc". I called Esoteric to find out the cost of evaluating the problem and to find out their service cost. Two days into trying to get a call back, I'm worried about this company. The receptionist says that only one man; Brian can answer questions about my problem. I'm concerned with the fact that I've called three times in attempt to talk to him. Of course I can return the unit to the seller so I'm not out the money. Does anyone else have experience with Esoteric? I'm nervous about them at this point. Thank you. Joe
128x128jnovak
I had my laser replaced on my DV-50 not too long ago and went through a local Esoteric dealer, even though I did not buy it new or from the dealer.  He handled everything and it shipped back to California for repair and was turned around quickly.

It has never sounded better.  I think I paid a couple hundred dollars for the repair and it was well worth it compared to what a replacement of comparable performance would cost.

$2,600 to repair a used item is ridiculous.  I'm glad the OP was able to get his money back.
I was reading this thread as I have an Esoteric UZ-1 that needs fixing. It’s been 3 years since this thread was started and I called Esoteric Service today and they still are talking about some jig that only exists in Japan. I can’t believe that only one jig can work on these machines and it only exists in Japan. Something to think about before you dive into these expensive products!
Yes, you would think that someone else could do the repair. I wonder what would happen if you called Cary Audio. MAYBE they would be willing to give it a shot. The Japan answer is crazy. Did you get the price from TAP for this service? I heard it is in excess of $2000.00 JUST to send it to Japan and back! Good luck. Let us all know if you find a domestic solution. Maybe TAP would be willing to repair without the jig alignment?? Joe
jnovak, From your first post it sounds like you're leaving the player on at all times.  If you are, try shutting it off and unplugging it for a minute.  It's worth a try.