Problem with Denon 3300 Dolby Digital

Hello,

I recently purchased an Anthem MCA-5 amp for my HT setup. Yesterday, we were watching a DVD and the power went out 3 times in a row very quickly. This was rather strange but what can one say..it happened. Anyway, the power after the power came on the last time I noticed that the DVD was playing in Pro Logic surround, not Dolby Digital. I pulled out my Denon manual and (to make a long story short) came to realize that I do not have the DOLBY/DTS function in my surround modes.

My surround mode read as follows:

DIRECT -- STEREO -- 5CH STEREO --MONO MOVIE -- ROCK ARENA -- JAZZ CLUB -- VIDEO GAME -- MATRIX and back to DIRECT...

I'm not sure what I've done but I don't seem to be able to work it out alone.

HELP - PLEASE!

klhender
klhender
You do not mention what you are you are using for a dvd player. The problem could be there. Also, are you sure the movie you are playing has a digital sountrack and that it is selected in the dvd menu?
I reset the input mode to auto a dozen times with no luck, than reinitialized twice. The last time I unplugged the Denon before I went to work and and set it up after work with the same results. If I play a DTS DVD my auto input works just fine (everythings great - but no Dolby Digital) so I have no choice but to think I have a problem with the Dolby chip. Oh well, nobody said life was easy.
I use a Denon 1601, and I had a similar problem. All I had to do to correct it was to reset the "input mode" to the "auto" position which selected the digital input -- somehow it had gotten switched to the "analog" input mode.

If that's not it then you might have to reinitialize the microprocessor as per the instructions in the manual, but try the above suggestion first. Let me know how you fare.