proac sound vs coincident sound

Has anyone heard these 2 speakers. I own Coincident peII's.
There aren't any dealers for proac anywhere close to me and I am curious about their sound, primarily the 2.5 or 2.8 series.
Are they thin or bright? I have read that the efficiency is not as advertised, will 40 triode watts get the job done?
Thanks
Mike
128x128brm1

Showing 1 response by jimmy2615

I've had the Proac D25 (similar to the 28, same drivers) with high quality SS amplification (Rowland concerto with PC-1) and the sound was definitely tilted up at the high end. I have had Harbeth here, and at least these D25's are NOT the 'english' sound, if Harbeth is what that sound is. That said, they do produce a nice soundstage and do very well for what they do. I put my Tyler's back in the system however, and breathed a sigh of relief. The Proac's were very 'hot' with my gear. Everyone seems to say tubes make the match. I would like to hope there was not that much difference between tubes and SS. I've heard McIntosh MA6900 and C22/MC240 combo, and the two sounded very similar with B&W speakers. Why a speaker (like Proac) would vary so much from one to another would be beyond my meager understanding of electronics. Lest anyone say that my amp is class 'D' and perhaps 'digital sounding', remember that the panel in the Absolute SOund that reviewed several Class 'D' amps found them lacking in output in the high treble range. Go figure...