ProAc Response 2: CJ CAV45, Cary SEI 300B, or Cary Rocket 88?

Looking at the amps listed in the title to pair with my newly acquired ProAc Response 2: CJ CAV45, Cary SEI 300B, or Cary Rocket 88

Looking for the best tone and most in-the-room presence possible. Also want tuneful/rhythmic bass vs depth/authority.

Any feedback from those who have heard any of these, especially with ProAc would be appreciated.

Thanks!

128x128leahy

Proac usually requires quite a bit of power compared to an efficient speaker at 90db or higher. All the amps you have listed are great camps but they are single ended triode low power amplifiers and they need those 90db plus efficient speakers to shine. I had Cary audio 300b (my favorite set amp ever) monoblocks with Swan Allure speakers sounded amazing for a big full-range speaker with super low power. That system you heard those on that audible Illusions preamp is one of the best kind of like convergent audio technology just about 1/3 of the price the modulus 3A is one of my favorite preamps ever., as far as an amplifier I would recommend a music reference rm9 Mark 2 omg your jaw will drop on floor. My dad has owned brick-and-mortar audio shop in the same location for 42 years I'm only 36 years old but I have had the chance to play around with a lot of nice gear and what I recommended is not cheap but it's not super expensive but it's super amazing

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience. I had an RM9 Mk I some years ago, but I did not have a quality preamp paired with it. I'm sure the RM9 II with AI3 would be a great system. Along with the CAV45 on the way, which should be enough power for my small room and listening habits, I'm in negotiations for an M3B. If that comes my way, I'll be on the lookout for the MR amp too!

Charles - now that I'm close to a deal with the AI-M3B, I really want to source a pair of the CAD monos. It will be a lot of fun to audition a few integrateds against some quality separates. 

For anyone who cares, I'll post observations as I acquire different pieces.

Leahy:  Just to confirm what a lot of other responders have said....  I have enjoyed a pair of Cary 805 300B monoblocks for over a decade and I wouldn't swap them out for anything -- and I'm driving some pretty inefficient Cabasse speakers with them.  At 50wpc (as opposed to 15wpc for the integrated), I'm positive you'll be happy both short term and if you ever move the system into a larger room.

Also, I could have sworn I saw a pair of 805 mono's listed for sale here on Agon (or on AudioMart) recently.  Take a look around the usual sites.  You may be able to find a pair of monos for a rational price.

@leahy ... I’m sure the RM9 II with AI3 would be a great system...

Story: It is a fantastic combo. A really good friend who passed on a few years back had this setup as his very last system. He enjoyed it thoroughly. Same Roger RM MKII and Audible Ilusions Modulus 3 combo you noted, with specific MIT cables and upgraded CD player. Wow it sounded so much higher-end than its total cost.

Paired only with smaller Totem Model One Signature 87db sensitivity speakers on stands, No furniture in the room, just a small chair. Clock and refrigerator unplugged during early a.m listening sessions. Moved it to five diffeent rooms in the house too. He was over the top obsessed, and memorable listening it was. Sound was huge, deep, layered, textured and quite interesting. That little system bested many systems we heard in our area of colleagues and audio stores. We ran around comparing his setup to others for fun.

The Audio Engineering Society (AES) made their rounds back then and awarded him a 4th place award for his system with a nice writeup. There was a comment how it held its own to some systems at 4x the total cost. He managed to nail it with an amazing combo and was very proud of it.