Proac D40R or Monitor Audio Platinum II 500

Hi to all of you,
I have the Proac D40R (of which I am very happy) but I have the possibility to have the MonitorAudio Platinum II 500 (don't consider the price: it will be a gift for me).
My question is this: Will I improve by replacing my ProAc? I realize that these are two different segments ...
P.S. - in the past I already had MonitorAudio and I liked it.
Thanks to anyone who wants to answer and help me.

Stanislao
128x128stani19
I have the Proac D 40 r too. I have not heard the Monitor Audio.

Curious what other gear you are using with your speakers?
I've had PL500 IIs for three years. I submit it depends on your room, equipment, and preferences. The PL500's aren't a forward sounding speaker, but have detail and do the audiophile things really well. They have a big sound, but can sound drastically different based on the other components. Unfortunately, a home audition is the only way to determine if you prefer them to your Proacs.
I was using an Aesthetix Calypso and Atlas (which were very synergistic with the speakers), but recently changed to a Luxman CL-38u and a pair of Luxman MB 3045 (circa 1975) factory converted to use 6550 tubes).

I think even the Platinum 300 will be nicer than your Proacs. And I totally agree with Ricred, the platinum's are very neutral sounding speakers if you play something bright it'll come out break if you play something well recorded it'll come out sounding beautiful. That's what I love about the platinum's, they'll let you hear things exactly the way they were recorded. Voice instruments cymbals sound like they do in real life. I have the Platinum 200 and absolutely love them.
Grazie per aver contribuito. Ho sostituito il platino 300 con il mio proac d40r (li hai ascoltati?). La mia domanda è solo per il platino 500 ...
Grazie ancora
Thanks for contributing. I replaced the platinum 300 with my proac d40r (did you listen to them?). My question is only for platinum 500 ...
Thanks again
Check out the WHITECAMAROSS thread, he had the PL500s in his rig for awhile. He seemed to really like them, but like everything else he has ever loved, hated or felt ambivalent about, he sold them to chase the next thing. I can only imagine the system I could put together with the money he’s lost constantly switching out gear.
OK, I’ll chime in here, even though I know nothing about your room, listening tastes, etc. I have auditioned the PL500 & have listened to your Proacs (and the newer big Proacs as well). As you know, these are very different speakers—physically as well as sonically.
a) The Monitors are large and need a lot more real-estate than your Proacs
b) you will probably find the Monitor tweet a bit hot on some frequencies (6-8kHz?) and less natural than the ribbon on yr Proacs
c) the Monitors have more authority and provide more volume (not amplitude) than your Proacs (no surprise) and if you listen to large orchestras, the Monitors will give a better sense of scale; bass reproduction is of course much bolder.
d) the Monitors are euphonic, pleasant, while your Proacs retain some "mastering" dynamics i.e. the Proacs will probably sound slightly more dynamic to you.
Overall, the PL500 are much more imposing than your Proacs, physically & sonically, but their sonic signature is different—you’d probably call it "more polite" by comparison.

bella discussione, sei stato esaustivo. Graziebella discussione, sei stato esaustivo. Grazie
I think it’s not fair to compare the Proac D40R to the Monitor Audio Platinum II 500 they are in completely different league more reasonable to compare the Proac K8 to the Platinum II 500 .