ProAc D25 or ProAc 1SC + Sub

What will be the best solution?

Theorical observations (guessing):

1SC + SUB will have deeper bass, better for home-cinema and some types of music. It will also integrate better in small rooms, since the sub usually has many controls.

D25 may demand a larger room but will have much better integration and a more balanced sound.

Which one is more holographic?
Which one is more dynamic?
Which one?
sony

Showing 2 responses by friz1313

1st, you can't really go wrong with either selection, as long as you make a good choice for the Sub with the 1SC's. (I'd recommend a REL, or MJ Acoustics) Based on your 3 last questions, I'd go with the D25s. I've heard the D25s in a small room, 10x15 and they were fantastic. They have enough bass that no sub is required. And they will play louder and be more dynamic.

The 1SC's with a sub will give you more rumble, and would be my choice if space was an issue. They both have lots of magic, a "you are there" sound. The D25s will also allow you to keep improving your front end, where as the 1SC's will sound great in a more moderate system. But you'll hear a greater difference with the D25s as you pair them with better equipment.

I've heard them in an Ayre system before, (CX7 player, K-5 preamp, V-5 amp) and have yet to hear a better coherent, wide, deep soundstage and overrall musical cohesion and transparency. The D15s are an exceptional value also.

Good luck with your decision,
Friz

I agree, the D25's imaging and depth work great in a small room. You only have to sit 6-8 feet away from them to enjoy the soundstage they present. They are 1 of the few speakers I've heard that sound great in both small & large rooms. If your room size doubled in a few years, they still have the ability to fill it with plenty of bass & still sound great.

Also, if you were going to go with monitors, I would look at the Ref. 8 Sig's instead of the 1SC's. They are $1200 new, and a better value in my opinion. I think with your bass considerations the D25's make more sense, but you could match up a pair of Ref. 8 Sig's with a REL Storm sub for about 1/2 the price. And there's always the D15's in the middle performance\cost wise. You will be happy with whatever you decide, but the D25's are the easiest solution with the most upside.