Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC with Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge: BASS sounds 'muddy' The Reason?

Hey,

I just picked up a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC Turntable and have mixed feelings about the sound quality. The Bass is prominent and not ’tight’ (unlike my cd player) Some tracks sound good and others not so much.

My system consists of a pair of B&W 630’s, an old Denon 50 watt reciever (DRA-550) from the mid 80’s, a Marantz CD5004 cd player.

Also I’m probably going to be in the market for a new preamp/amp with a built in DAC soon. Would that solve the problem? Or do I need to upgrade the cartridge? If so please leave a link!

TIA

klimt

Showing 2 responses by ct0517

klimt

It appears your tonearm does not have VTA adjustment.
Try something - remove the factory mat and then try the record again.
Give it a shot. 
I think you should learn to set up your turntable, as is, first, as best as possible .....then decide if you want to drop more money on it, or trade for another. This takes 5 minutes tops.

What is the VTF and Anti Skate set at ?

When you say -

Some tracks sound good and others not so much.

Does the record sound better at the start to the middle, and worse from the middle to the end of the record ?

What stud groove is the anti skate mono filament line sitting in. Is it in the 2nd groove - the middle one ?

From the user manual

https://www.project-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Manual_Debut-Carbon-DC.pdf

See picture on page 4.
Try the line in the first stud groove. Less Anti Skate.

Also what happened when you removed the mat. Did you notice any change ? 

Go from there.