Pro-ject and EAR 834p - On the wrong path?

Ok, I had no intentions to set in motion an entire analog overhaul, but I recently had an opportunity to acquire an EAR 834p on the used market, as I've been curious to audition this piece for sometime. I just wanted to try it in place of my current Pro-ject Tube Box, which is part of what has otherwise been a fine homogenous Pro-ject/Sumiko analog set-up (eXperience table, Blackbird cart, Speed box II, and the Tube Box). Will have my first opportunity to A/B this wknd, but already running into the realization that I cannot run the Speed Box w/ the EAR. Maybe the improvements will be so significant that I won't miss it? Maybe the EAR is overkill to my current analog rig? Just looking for a more revealing/extended analog presentation - a little less warm & rolled off the top. I'm certain the EAR offers an improvement, but starting to feel it out classes the current table and a piece usually integrated w/ a bit better table. Of course I'll let my ears be my guide, but just curious - does anyone run a Pro-ject table w/ the EAR 834p, and if so, your impressions?
mbump

Showing 1 response by sharpnine

I think I responded on your Vinyl Asylum post also. Anyway, I think the 834P is great with my MMF-7 (I have a Benz Glider, which is in the same ballpark as the Blackbird I believe).
I don't know how your Tube Box is, but I know when I upgraded from a Creek to the 834P it was huge a improvement, definitely my biggest upgrade so far. I have upgraded the tubes in the 834P as well (Upscale Audio has good advice about that). I don't see how you can go wrong with that combo. I don't think you are spending too much on the phono stage in relation to the TT (of course I don't know how much you are spending) but I definitely think the Blackbird is in the same league with the EAR. You can always upgrade the TT later.