Primare PRE-32/A-32 combo lessened volume

Just saw a fresh comment sent by Al (almarg) in another thread in this (Amps Preamps) section...

I experience a similar problem, with strangely lessened volume in case of Primare combo PRE-32/A-32 (wired via XLR connections). In order to "come to life", it's necessary to turn the PRE-32's volume up to some 55-60 at least (out of 90, which is maximum). From this point on, volume increases fairly rapidly. I am pretty disappointed, even the sound itself while not spectacular emerges pretty clean and neutral.

Is it maybe some logarithmic nature of the volume pot the culprit?
zormi
Zd542. Thank you for your prompt reply.

Yes, both Primares have XLR input/output connectivity option. I don't know exactly whether it refers to true balanced design or not, but this should not affect the volume issue itself..

As I said in the initial post, I use balanced (XLR) connections - which naturally means I use balanced cable.
"Yes, both Primares have XLR input/output connectivity option. I don't know exactly whether it refers to true balanced design or not, but this should not affect the volume issue itself.."

Yes it will. Fully balanced components will output at a different level than when run single ended.

"As I said in the initial post, I use balanced (XLR) connections - which naturally means I use balanced cable."

Not true. Having xlr connectors doesn't mean the cable is balanced. There's plenty of SE cables that have xlr connectors on them. For a cable to be balanced, it must have 3 separate conductors, or 2 conductors and a drain wire.
I use brand new factory Audioquest both Columbia and Diamond XLR cables, 0,75/1 meter, respectively. Both models balanced, of course.

Should I blame Audioquest for declaring/selling cables balanced while making it another way?!
"Both models balanced, of course."

Like I said before, just because a cable has xlr connectors doesn't make it balanced. You can take a regular rca unbalanced interconnect, remove the rca connectors and put xlr's on it. Just 2 of the 3 pins are used.

"Should I blame Audioquest for declaring/selling cables balanced while making it another way?! "

No. AQ doesn't do this. All of their cables are fully balanced. As a matter of fact, if you have single ended AQ interconnects and need balanced, you can send them to AQ and have them re terminated to xlr. They put 3 conductors in all of their IC's even if the are not balanced.

You can have the same exact situation with components as well. Just because a component has xlr connectors doesn't mean its balanced.