Primaluna Prologue Premium Intgtd Amp - Matching

Hi,

I'm planning to buy the PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amp to drive my Focal Electra 1028Be speakers. I am a bit concerned that with their 35W/channel, the Primaluna's might be a little underpowered for my Focals. Does anyone have any experience or reccomendations on how these two perform together ?
audiokrish

Showing 2 responses by davide256

I have used the Prologue Premium Integrated with Magnepan 1.7's since March...I believe they are 86db efficency and run about 6 ohms. I detect no real power lack comparing to how I used the modified Hafler DH -200 I had before. What I have discovered is that the pre section rolls off the lowest bass compared to a CJ PV10A pre feed into the home theater inputs. I also use the 4 ohm speaker outputs with the Magnepans for better definition. And in all fairness I am not a heavy metal fan... my db level stays between 70 to 95 db in a 20 x 24 room. No doubt better gear in the $2K + source range would stress the system wattage more for dynamics and lower bass but at that point it wouldn't make sense to use a $2K integrated when your integrated doesn't match the source quality. Since the Focal speakers are 91db efficiency your wattage needs are less than mine.
Note that Prima Luna is having a sales on the Dialogue Premium Integrated... I'd strongly recommend stepping up to that for the better transformers and hopefully a more detailed pre section than the Prologue Premium Integrated.
the PL tends to be slightly forward in the highs but because its tubes that adds no irritants, just a different tonal balance. It is extremely revealing, so you may be taking a layer off your source and seeing a problem that was covered up before.
My experience with break in was basically that the amp got more dynamic, better sound stage as it broke in but tonal balance didn't change.