Primaluna ProLogue Five VS. Classe CA-150

I've been using my Classe CA-150 for awhile now and like it quite a bit but I've always thought tube amps were cool, do you think I'd be happier with the ProLogue 5?

I have a small pair of bookshelf speakers which aren't exactly efficient, and I do listen to electronic music quite a bit. I'd be okay with giving up a little bit of overall volume for more quality.

I would like to change things up and go for more warmth, bloom, romance if you will, but I don't want to be disappointed if I make the switch and find that I can't turn it up very loud and the bass becomes bloated or sloppy...

What do you guys think??
128x128b_limo

Showing 5 responses by jmcgrogan2

Sounds like you have some decision to make. You want to have your system sound potentially better, but you don't want to risk disappointment. Which is stronger? Your sense of adventure, or your fear of failure? You will have to wait until one urge overtakes the other urge, no one can make that decision for you. Only you can decide. Have fun.
01-16-14: B_limo
Honestly though, you hit the nail on the head. Problem is, I have made deceisions in this audio game that were steps sideways, or even backwards, and it also cost me money to add insult to injury.

I know what you are saying B, we've all been there. The problem is that all of this is highly subjective, so what works great for one is a disappointment to another. Personally, I prefer tubes, but I know a lot of others who prefer solid state. Am I wrong? Are they wrong? Nope. Sometimes in life you just take your chances, sometimes things work out, sometimes things don't. However, just because something works for someone else doesn't mean it will work for you, and just because something works for you doesn't mean it will work for someone else.

My advice is that if you are concerned about the possibility of losing money that you cannot afford to lose, than don't take the risk and simply enjoy what you have. Do not gamble until you have the disposable income to do so.
LOL! Man B_limo, you want it all!! More warmth and bloom, AND more sparkle and high end extension too??? Good luck brother!! Great taste AND less filling, yeah right. Don't believe the hype, you'll only set yourself up for disappointment.

IMHO, the Classe CA-150 is waaaay more amp then you need for those speakers. I wouldn't bother changing amps unless you plan on changing speakers too.
Thank you B, I'm glad that I could be of help. It's encouraging to know that someone takes what I say to heart. Lord knows that my wife and adult children don't. ;)

Enjoy the music,
John