PrimaLuna EVO 400 or Raven Audio Blackhawk integrateds?

Please chime in...to be paired w/ Focal 1038Be speakers. I'd buy the PL used and the Raven new. I never see the Ravens for sale on Agon...
larseand

Showing 4 responses by hilde45

Reading djones comment, I compared the Raven and PL -- 20 wpc vs. 70 wpc. Seems like a mismatched comparison, at least power-wise. Besides stuff from Mac, Cary, a VTL IT-85 Integrated or a VAC Sigma 170i Integrated Amplifier would seem to offer closer comparatives.
The EVO 400 I heard did not sound solid state to me. Indeed, I immediately compared it to a Parasound set up, and the difference was marked. But perhaps to some other tube amp...
+1 Tablejockey. I would add this, too: I listened to the EVO 400 with Spendor floorstanders and the bass was very muddy, boomy. I am sure that I formed a rash impression of them, not least because they only had the tubes they had; other tubes would bring a much different sound, I’m sure. The key for me buying what I did (Quicksilver) was the build quality, very few people trading up from them, and the very low number of posts I found complaining about the build quality of the gear; lots of raves, good comments about service from Mike Sanders, very few complaints. I’ve had it 6 months and have swapped in new and good tubes and the sound’s changed a lot.