PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Preamplifier. DESTROYS SPEAKERS!!

A few months ago, bought TWO of the above mentioned preamps. ( I have 2 stereo systems)
Within 6 weeks of the purchase, the power supply of my speakers burns out!
I purchase and replace the power supply.
Three days later, the second newly replaced power supply is burnt out!
After much investigative work and heartache, I discover that the Pre amp is the problem.
It is defective and puts out DC. which burns out speakers.
After, testing the second unit, I find that it is defective as well, EXACTLY the same problem.
I return the units to my dealer, who returns them to Prima Lune.

I received a phone call from a Mr. Kevin Deal, big cheese at PrimaLuna.
Told me that the capacitors, on BOTH units had failed and the units were putting out DC.
He even THANKED me, for being a guinea pig, and discovering the flaw in his units.

He offered me a pair of tubes, as "compensation" for my troubles!! What a joker!!

WOW, a pair of tubes for blowing my $30,000. speakers!!

The height of arrogance and total disregard for the consumer of his product.
To all audiophiles, do yourself a favour, STAY AWAY for this brand, unless you want your speakers cooked.

TOTAL lack of quality control, MADE IN CHINA junk, what more needs to be said.

Mr. Deal, WAKE UP, and STOP selling defective products!!

If, you are using PrimaLuna, and your speakers fail, check the amp or pre amp.

George

Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
thorloki
I agree that if a preamp was going to blow up your speakers it would do it by sneaking around late at night and attaching a bomb to them. Jolida (I like Jolida stuff), Vincent, Hegel, Prima Luna, Monitor Audio, etc., etc., (many of which are REAL items of very high quality) along with your computer, phone, clothing and a myriad of other stuff (myriad…many millions of things) are all from China. But everyone knows that. It seem to be a little late to criticize China made stuff generally, but as long as manufacturers apply some tight quality control it’s likely gonna be well made. I love my Shu Guang 274Bs.
Well, PL touts high QC despite made in china manufacturing.
The OP has a right to be effing pissed. But I dont know of any manufacturers, audio or otherwise, that makes guarantees.
Guarantees have been thrown out with the bathwater for the last 30 years since globalization. And even the US manufacturers are lame and offer little guarantee.
But I habe to say this: If I owned a pair of $30k speakers that I could not get reimbursed for if they blew, I might have found a way to test the preamp before hooking up to speakers. or asking Upscale to test at their own facility first with their speakers or via electronic testing.
Its all 20/20 i know, but this day and age, unfortunately, we have to protect ourselves. Customers have very few rights anymore

I own a PL Dialogue Premium Preamp and HP monoblock amp driving my 15k Magnepan 20.7's and they sound amazing. I would suspect it was not the fault of the preamp but something else. Like following the basic process of how to shutdown your amp, or if he had the right amp driving his speaker. I've had PL gear for roughly 2 months and hadn't had one issue except that I've gained 10 lbs from doing nothing but listening to music.

Cheers

This thread makes me respect Kevin Deal, Prima Luna and Martin-Logan.  All three stepped up and made the OP whole.

I just placed an order from Upscale for a PL Prologue 5 amp.  I am confident that Kevin will step up if I have issues.  
Very solid thread. I currently have a Bryston 4BSST2 and planning to match it with a Prologue preamp, could you share your thoughts about this pairing? Or will going straight to Dialogue model make the difference? Btw, how big is the difference in terms of sound quality? It will be driving a pair of Dynaudio Contour 20. Thank you and stay safe!