PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP or PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium (integrateds)

Getting close to a new or used PL DiaLogue Premium integrated...My budget says the smaller Premium, but I have heard the HP and I loved it! Any ideas about the difference in the two amps. I have a pair of Focal Aria 948s which are fairly efficient, but some say to error on the side ample power with these speakers...Budget 2K-4K

larseand
Although I have not heard any of the three components, I would strongly suggest that you to go with the HP. While I have no reason to doubt that the speakers and both of the amps are fine components, I suspect that the non-HP version of the amp would be a very poor match for the particular speaker.

The impedance specifications of your speakers are 8 ohms nominal and 2.5 ohms minimum. The Focal 936 has similar impedance specs (8 ohms nominal and 2.8 ohms minimum), and the impedance curve for the 936 which was measured by Stereophile, shown here, indicates a very low impedance of around 3 ohms throughout the mid-bass region, with a rise to more than 12 ohms in the lower treble region.

Many PrimaLuna amplifiers have output impedances which are much too high to provide good results with that kind of impedance variation. For example, the output impedance of the DiaLogue Premium power amp, as described in Stereophile’s measurements, would IMO be ridiculous to pair with such a speaker, the likely result being weak bass and excessive brightness.

On the other hand, the measured output impedance numbers for the DiaLogue Premium HP integrated amp, shown here, and described as being "significantly lower than with other PrimaLuna amplifiers I have measured," are suggestive of a reasonable match, especially if the amp’s 4 ohm tap is used.

Good luck. Regards,
-- Al

Thanks for your input...The weak bass, excessive brightness result would be a disaster. I'm not locked into the PrimaLuna...Any other integrated suggestions that pair nicely withe the 948s? SS or tubes...
I just picked up a Primaluna Dialogue Premium (non hp).
Its pushing a pair of Focal 1008be2’s.

wonderful. 

I had a Cronus Magnum in the system, I feel the PM has it beat with detail, soundstage, and bass. More air between voices/instruments. 

Not on that the CM was any slouch, but it is better, to me.

Excellent tube rolling capabilities, triode / ultralinear switching from your seated position, well built.

I have not heard the HP, though from what Kevin Deal (PM dealer) says, just more power and a headphone jack. 

I have not had mine past 12o’clock position in my 12x16x9’ room. 

BTW, got mine used for a great deal,  heck out used sites. 
Best of luck