Prima Luna Prologue 2 vs Rotel RB-1572

I have spent the first five years of my retired life building a collection of used vintage solid state gear and I am now ready to try and "move up" in the sound experience by buying new.

I am considering the PL Prologue 2 and the Rotel RB 1572 power amp/RC 1550 preamp.

Cost is a major consideration so I cannot go beyond the $2K
spending point.

My next consideration is carry-in service cuz' I will no longer ship items anywhere for repair. Both these brands meet this need.

My third consideration is quality of sound, simplicity of operation and reliability of use.

I have listened to both product lines in other environments and was impressed.

However I will not be able to upgrade my speakers in the near future, if ever, and I do not know how either of these brands will sound with what I have:

Klipsch RF-35, 8 ohm 98db 1w/1m
Polk Lsi9, 4 ohms, 88db 1w/1m
ADS L880/2, 8 ohms 89db 1w/1m

I am aware that there should be an ideal synergy between the electronics and the speakers, but I do not have a clue whether it exists with either of these amps any my existing speakers.

Can anyone please comment on the PL Prolougue 2 vs Rotel question and how each might perform with my existing speakers and,
...whether the phono card offered by PL for $199 is a worthwhile purchase.

Many thanks
treehugger

Showing 1 response by saki70

I have both the PL2 and Rotel products , specifficultly the 200w-5channel amp and their processor . The Rotel is now sitting idle as it was relegated to H/T use after moving to 2 channel in another room , then the H/T went away too . Both units have been trouble free . I used the Rotel for @ 3 years and have had the PL2 in use for a little longer .

If your primary use is 2 channel I would choose the PL2 . It is much more to my liking for music . More body and smoother sound . As above the Rotel can be a bit brash , I don't believe that you will have that problem with the PL2 .

The PL2 should be fine with the Klipsch speakers , a little ify with the ADS's depending on the loudness and room size and may be a bit troublesome with the Polk's .

One thing to remember about your two choices...SS is what it is meaning you are not able to change or fine tune the sound much if at all . Whereas , the tubed unit can change quite a bit with the ability to roll/change the various input and output tubes . You can call up the vendor , tell him what you would like to change and he (Upscale Audio) will suggest what tubes to change to and probably have them available for sale . And all of that is no more troublesome than unplugging the old tube and plugging in the new tube . The unit is self/auto biasing...you never have to mess with it . The down side to tubes is that you need to let them warm up to sound their best as leaving the unit powered up continuesley will wear out the tubes prematurely . The SS unit can be left on and be ready to go always .

Good luck .