Prima Luna Premium Pre or Conrad Johnson ET3 SE

Hello,

I currently own a Conrad Johnson ET3 SE.

Would a Prima Luna Premium Preamp be an upgrade?

I am unfamiliar with Prima Luna.

Thanks for any input.
pkelly1504
Upscaleaudio,

You're full of crap. Buying Prima Luna means having to deal with your ego, and the arrogance with which you wield it. I wouldn't subject an enemy to that. But don't take my word for it.

"I know....I'm biased...say what you want. I speak the absolute truth, with quite a bit of authority.

Look at this picture."

The truth has a different meaning in your world. The OP is asking about an ET3 SE and you link a picture of a Classic 2. Not only do you sound like a used car salesman, you act like one.

"The 6H23-EB is the only tube that will hold up in the CJ Classic 2SE, ET3SE and ET5 enough that I will warranty them for 90 days. And that tube is increasingly hard to get. Just a heads up. I would buy some back ups."

CJ makes preamps that burn through tubes that are difficult to come by. Its funny how you are the only one that mentions this. Doesn't seem to be a problem for anyone else. Maybe CJ should start outsourcing their production to China. We all know they make the best quality gear.
Zd542 sorry you got upset. I didn't say that was a picture of a ET3SE. If you look at the link it says what it is clearly. FWIW I put the picture of the ET3SE on the bottom.

As to your statement about nobody having tube problems in the ET3SE etc, go to the CJ owner's group here
http://www.conradjohnsonowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=469

Their preamps sound very good and always have. The question in this thread is how two preamps compare. Any and all information about that is valid. How it's built including weight, technical data, or holes in it's engineering underpants is important

As to the comment about where something is made and China, I'm old enough to remember when "Made in Japan" meant junk. Now it's held up as the standard for perfection.

Do you know where Triode Japan's products are made? Ayon says "Austria" on their gear. Google that question and see what people say. Is Cary made in the USA? Certainly some of it is. I've been to China more than once and I've seen German, Austrian and US products either being made 100% or being manufactured there then final assembly (putting the circuit boards into the casework) being done "at the factory".

But at the end of the day I have never sold a Chinese brand that I've had a good experience with. So I don't. Apple is made in China. Not a Chinese brand. PrimaLuna is made in China. Not a Chinese brand. It was the first brand to say it honestly and to tell the whole story of how it's done and where the parts to do it come from, meaning from name-brand Western suppliers like Alps, Takman, Fujitsu, SCR/Solen, and so on. Experts talk about the quality often. Art Dudley said in his Stereophile review "These are the best-built amps I've ever seen.... Somebody built these as if it mattered"

I will also go on record saying that in my opinion preamps have become a place where manufacturers can make better profit margin by using fewer parts.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3DlJDOj4AVY/UjdywXdSDrI/AAAAAAAAKfc/HKEt7PbOexw/w1183-h784-no/RAY_2146.JPG
To address the original question; I have a Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Pre and Power amp. I have never heard a Conrad Johnson, so I can't comment on those, but I can tell you out of every piece of gear that I have ever owned nothing even comes close to sounding as purely musical, without anything added in, than my Prima Luna gear. Tube magic. I can't believe that it doesn't cost at least twice as much as it does. It's that good. Don't just take my word, several reviewers have have compared Prima Luna to the best gear, at any price. With the sound and build quality I can't imagine anything that the Prima Luna won't be able to hold it's own against. What more can be said?

P.S.
Kevin isn't arrogant, he's confident, because he know's what he's talking about. Upscale Audio is a great place to do business with. Kevin always gives me top dollar anytime I trade something in. I bought my Prima Luna gear, and many, many tubes from Upscale and I've never been steered wrong--just got unbelievable deals. I couldn't be happier. +1 for Prima Luna

--Billy
Post removed 
"P.S.
Kevin isn't arrogant, he's confident, because he know's what he's talking about. Upscale Audio is a great place to do business with. Kevin always gives me top dollar anytime I trade something in. I bought my Prima Luna gear, and many, many tubes from Upscale and I've never been steered wrong--just got unbelievable deals. I couldn't be happier. +1 for Prima Luna"

I know it doesn't look like my comments are justified based on the information in this thread. I would agree. But a while back Kevin made some comments in a different thread that were done in extremely poor taste. I wouldn't even consider quoting him here given the nature of his comments.