Prima Luna Premium Pre or Conrad Johnson ET3 SE

Hello,

I currently own a Conrad Johnson ET3 SE.

Would a Prima Luna Premium Preamp be an upgrade?

I am unfamiliar with Prima Luna.

Thanks for any input.
pkelly1504

Showing 6 responses by zd542

"Would a Prima Luna Premium Preamp be an upgrade?"

Anythings possible, but I would say that its not likely to be an upgrade. Unless you have the chance to hear the Prima Luna in your system first, I wouldn't even consider it.
Upscaleaudio,

You're full of crap. Buying Prima Luna means having to deal with your ego, and the arrogance with which you wield it. I wouldn't subject an enemy to that. But don't take my word for it.

"I know....I'm biased...say what you want. I speak the absolute truth, with quite a bit of authority.

Look at this picture."

The truth has a different meaning in your world. The OP is asking about an ET3 SE and you link a picture of a Classic 2. Not only do you sound like a used car salesman, you act like one.

"The 6H23-EB is the only tube that will hold up in the CJ Classic 2SE, ET3SE and ET5 enough that I will warranty them for 90 days. And that tube is increasingly hard to get. Just a heads up. I would buy some back ups."

CJ makes preamps that burn through tubes that are difficult to come by. Its funny how you are the only one that mentions this. Doesn't seem to be a problem for anyone else. Maybe CJ should start outsourcing their production to China. We all know they make the best quality gear.
"P.S.
Kevin isn't arrogant, he's confident, because he know's what he's talking about. Upscale Audio is a great place to do business with. Kevin always gives me top dollar anytime I trade something in. I bought my Prima Luna gear, and many, many tubes from Upscale and I've never been steered wrong--just got unbelievable deals. I couldn't be happier. +1 for Prima Luna"

I know it doesn't look like my comments are justified based on the information in this thread. I would agree. But a while back Kevin made some comments in a different thread that were done in extremely poor taste. I wouldn't even consider quoting him here given the nature of his comments.
"04-10-15: Upscaleaudio
Thanks for the kind words. And Zd542, I don't know what comments I made, but back in the day, there was a lot of that. Frankly that's why most industry people don't get involved in forums anymore, including me. No data, just meaningless sweeping comments and insults. I'm just not into that. Principles before personalities."

Principles before personalities? I find that hard to believe. I'll say just about anything, but I don't feel comfortable just quoting what you said. It wasn't too long ago either. I'll give you some hints and you can choose to remember it if you want to.

The thread started out as a discussion on Prima Luna. As the discussion progressed, some of the comments started to get negative in that not everyone had a good experience dealing with you, in one form or another. But, for the most part, the comments seemed genuine. It should be noted, that I was part of the discussion. I've bought some stuff from you in the past. Nothing big or expensive, and I did notice you have an odd personality. I remember you saying some really odd things to me when I had you on the phone. They were nothing terrible, but I couldn't help but think that these type of comments aren't something you would normally say to someone you really don't know.

Anyway, in the middle of all this, you jumped into the discussion, and started to do some damage control. I didn't think there was anything wrong with that. You're allowed to speak, and I know what it is to run a business. I probably would have done the same thing. But then, out of nowhere, you drop a very tragic, personal story, and used it to justify why you may not have been in a good mood. I was stunned. Its not the kind of story that you would tell people that you really don't know. And its definitely not the kind of story you would use just to save face on an internet chat site. But it did work. You had everyone feeling bad for you and it stopped the discussion right there on the spot. And for that, I have absolutely no respect for you. Sometimes when you're in business, you need to have to balls to admit your mistakes, apologize and move on.
"04-12-15: Upscaleaudio
Zd542, if I upset you somehow, I'm sorry. On to the topic of the thread."

You don't owe me an apology. You owe yourself one.
"04-12-15: Abrew19
Meanwhile back at the ranch the original poster is no closer to getting valid comparison feedback like he asked for."

"Hello,

I currently own a Conrad Johnson ET3 SE.

Would a Prima Luna Premium Preamp be an upgrade?

I am unfamiliar with Prima Luna.

Thanks for any input.
Pkelly1504 (Threads | Answers | This Thread)"

The only way to find out for sure is to try the preamp in the OP's system next to his CJ. Aside from doing that, I don't see another alternative.