Preamp with tone controls?

Hi guys,

I need help choosing a used preamp to match with a pair of Bryston 7B ST's driving a pair of Bowers and Wilkins Nautilus 801 speakers. I was thinking maybe a Mcintosh C-220 or similar as I think a tube would warm up the sound a little and I will definitely be wanting tone controls. I will consider any high end brand. I'm not sure if the Mcintosh will be outdoing the rest of my system but I do like the idea of a tube with tone controls and I love the VU meters and the overall look of the Mc's. My system is set up in a loft room with an angled ceiling on both sides that I have recently treated with some homemade acoustic panels filled with Rockwool and covered with Cara fabric. Most of what I play still sounds a little bright. The preamp must definitely have tone controls.
I'm not sure what the Mcintosh will cost but my ideal my budget is around the £2000 mark. By the way I'm based in the UK
Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
woody24

Showing 1 response by polk432

You may want to try a DBX 10/20/EQ. They have an excellent bypass and will not change the sound of your system by simply being hooked up. $350.00 to 400.00 good luck.