Preamp w/mm Phono Stage for under $300?

I’m pretty much a beginner on a budget who has slowly been putting together a 2-channel system for the past three years.

My system consists of Yamaha Integrated Amp model A-700 (mid 1980’s vintage). Sources are a Meridian 508.20 CDP and a Music Hall MMF.7 Turntable w/ Eroica Cartridge [the latter a high output MC Cart that is recommended to be run by a MM phone stage], Apple G5 as a music server w/iTunes (connected via cheap mini-plug > RCA cable), plus an inexpensive Philips DVD player for the occasional movie. Speakers are Polk LSi9s.

After putting upgrades on hold for a year, I just purchased a McCormack DNA-125 Amp and I am going to integrate it into my system. I had intended to use the preamp and MM phono-pre section of the Yamaha A-700 Integrated amp to feed the McCormack amp until I could afford a separate preamp upgrade in the future (I've been curious about the Audible Illusions M3A, but I haven’t really begun to do the research for the preamp yet). Unfortnately, I can NOT hook the Yamaha’s preamp section to the McCormack…there’s NO pre-out. Gah!

In the interim, I need to get some sort of temporary preamp into this system to feed the McCormack.

Finances are VERY tight right now. A good preamp is out of the question as my audio priorities include numerous system expansion upgrades [I’ll have two more rooms to supply with music in the near future, so I’ll set up either a hardwired or wireless music server based on my Apple computer].

So now I need to take a bit of a detour.
Does anyone have recommendations for a premap (probably used) for under $300 that has switchable sources (CDP, AUX [Digital from Apple G5] , TT, DVD), MM phono stage, that will mate well with the McCormack and Polk LSi9? I listen to mostly rock with a little bit of everything else. I want something I can easily resell down the road, preferably without too big of a loss. This is a stop-gap measure. I haven’t listened to tubes so I do not have an opinion on them vs. SS.

Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch.
lovegasoline

Showing 1 response by hoopster