preamp upgrade suggestion around $2000

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my preamp.  I am currently using a Luxkit A3300 preamp.  Other components are:
Naim Uniti Serve streamer
Musical Paradise MP-D2 DAC
Otomon Lab custom build 300B amp
Spatial Audio X5 speakers

I am looking for a tube linestage between $2000-$3000.  From several years ago, I read good things about the following:

Cary SLP98
Modwright SWL 9.0 SE
Supratek Chardonnay
And more recent ones with good reviews:

Coincident Statement LineStage
Linear Tube Audio MZ2/MZ3
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
I have three questions:

1) Is there other models I should consider?  
2) are those in the first group still good options since they are older models?  3) anyone have experience in them and can do some comparisons?

gte357s
Given you may be looking to not add any more tube warmth to your current system I’d second the LTA MZ2 with the caveat you need to also get the upgraded power supply (LPS) option.  The added benefit is that the MZ2 is also an excellent headphone amp, so if you rock ‘phones or may in the future this could be a huge bonus. 

I’d also add the Backert Rhumba 1.3 as another very well-designed tube pre that plays it closer to the detailed/neutral end of the spectrum, and if you can find one used a Rhumba 1.3 Extreme would be even better still.  Just another option for you. 

Lastly, and coming from a little different perspective, you might consider the Bryston BP6 solid state preamp.  What???  Why?  Well, the BP6 is the proverbial straight wire with gain design and sounds as close to nothing at all as anything I’ve heard in my system along with providing a dead silent backdrop to the music..  It will pass through everything it’s fed without filtering or adding anything, but in doing so it lets you to hear things in the music that were previously masked and allows the soundstage to open up and expand with the apparent removal of gunk that was previously clouding the whole performance.  I brought this up because as I look at your system and hear what you’re looking for, the BP6 could be like an audio enema for your system that allows it to open up and express itself more clearly and completely while maintaining all the existing tube goodness.  Anyway, there it is FWIW, and best of luck in your search. 
deHavilland Mercury 3 or UltaVerve 3. Absolutely fantastic; Still wish I had the UltraVerve and hope to have one again.

Cheers,

Scott
Out of the ones you mentioned I only have experience with the Cary and the Sachs.

Only buy the SLP-98 if your system is bright and you want to tame it. A LOT. The Cary is warm and lush to a fault, at least to my ears.

I currently have the Don Sachs Model 2 with all the latest goodies. I am extremely happy with this preamp and have no problem recommending it.

The deHavilland mentioned above is pretty good also.

Oz