Preamp under 800$

Hi,

I am currently using a pioneer sa8500 integrated amplifier as preamp. I would like to use it in a secondary system and improve my main system with a better preamp. (need at least two line sections and one phono section)
My system:
Thorens TD166 with Grado red cartidge (MM)
Marantz CD74 CD player
Nakamichi PA7EII Stasis amplifier
JBL L112
Mogami 3082 cables

I am mostly listening to vinyls, the phono section of the preamp is therefore very important to me.
Concerning the sonic signature, I am very concerned about the soundstage and imaging on one side, and the warmth in the mids on the other side. I am not seeking for extreme details or transparency, I would rather like to improve the presence in the low mids.
I listened to Threshold FET 9 and liked it, but I can't find one on the market at a reasonable price.
What about Nakamichi CA5 II (around 500$) ? Is it similar to the FET 9? I have been told that the CA5 wasn't that good but that the second version was a significant improvement...
Thanks for reading, I am looking froward to read your comments.

Lionel
lionelplouf

Showing 1 response by bigthinker

There is a Manley on Agon now for $625. That's a steal. This is an early model of the Shrimp, but Manley gear is very respectable. I would try this instead of some of the other unknown stuff out there.