Preamp to use with Quad 909 Amp

I just purchased a Quad 909 amplifier. I need to get rid of my Cary tube amp for child safety reasons. (Currently listed for sale!) I was thinking of purchasing the matching preamp (Quad 99) to use with it.

I would like a preamp with built in phono and remote control. I already have Aragon and PSE preamps, but neither have remote control. I would like to spend $1,000 or less.

I want to know if anyone has alternate suggestions, meeting these requirements, that they have heard with the Quad 909. If you have comments on the 99/909 combination I would like to hear those also.

My system is posted so please take a look at the related components.

Thanks for your advice and information. This is a great forum.

Jim Perry

jperry

Showing 2 responses by hififile

Hi Jim,
For years I used an all McIntosh/Magnepan system (very good). I recently bought the Quad 909 amp, 99 pre, 99 cd-p, and quad speakers. The sound is simply phenomenal. I also love the ease of use and system synergy of the 99 preamp with 909 amp. 1 button turns them on, off, adjusts sound etc. The 99 pre has very versatile functions. And it comes with a very good phono preamp installed. Quality control and fit and finish are very good too. Highly recommended!!
Hi Jim,
I bought the Quad 11L's. These are superb little speakers, stand mounted monitors. Their reviews were so impressive by so many I bought them. They are a great match for the all Quad system.

However, I am keeping a pair of Quad 22L's in the back of my mind for a future purchase.

Hope this helps, Happy Listening,
Bennett