Preamp suggestions, yes again

I know these types of topics come up very often but here's another.

I'm looking for a preamp for my system. I currently use an Onkyo TX-SR705 as a pre. I have Klipsch RP-600M bookshelf speakers fed by a diy First Watt Aleph J amp. 

I'm looking at the Odysey Candela and the Van Alstine Vision SLR to start. I'd like to stay around this price point or lower.

I do not need phono but a remote is a must have. Obviously I'm open to ss or tubes. Thoughts on the two in considering? Other suggestions? 
128x128markf31
I recently borrowed some audio equipment from a friend.  The Shiit Saga + II and the Bifrost DAC.  Playing off an Innuos mini mk 3.  This is going to be difficult to beat for the price!  The voices became buttery smooth, more clear and detailed as I could want. Increased detail I never heard before. Symbols decay and ring. You hear the tip of the drum stick it is amazing.  Bass is clear and solid. I would keep them because I think he wants to sell them. I am older and want more controls on a remote and preamp than what Shiit offers. If I were younger I would not mind a basic setup.  I also want tone controls for older less quality recorded music.
The Quicksilver HP amp used as a pre continues to impress. So much so that I don’t think I can return to the Freya — sucks in a way because I’ve amassed a collection of 6SN7s. I’ll be placing a call to QS next week to inquire whether I can expect similar or even better performance from their Remote Line Stage preamp.
Hi
Don Sachs here. I normally stay out of threads, but I just want to clear up the misconception stated above. Yes, my preamp starts with the bare sp14 board. That is it. The circuit is a very good SRPP with an Akido buffer and the first time I heard it I knew it was very special sounding. Over the past 4 or 5 years I have developed my version, and I have gotten Roy to make major modifications to the board that have improved it considerably. This has resulted in a much better preamp kit for all of the kit builders. That said, my preamp is not just an sp14 board in a pretty case. I run the tubes at a different operating point, I have modified the regulated filament supplies to lower noise, I have modified the preamp to use a much better rectifier tube, I choose every single part for a certain sound based on my experience restoring 500+ pieces of vintage tube gear, and building 200+ pieces of custom tube gear of my own. I have shortened the signal path considerably. I use some very special signal path wire and output caps I love. I have experimented extensively to hear which parts have the most sonic effect. There are a number of other things I have done that I won’t go into.

So, if you build one of Roy’s SP14 kits, you will have probably the best preamp you have ever heard for peanuts, and yes, you will have the joy of building it yourself. Please go for it if you are so inclined as they are wonderful! That said, mine is 20-25% better because of the above. I am sure many of the other preamps mentioned in this thread are wonderful as well. There are many paths to Audio Nirvana....

cheers,
Don
Hi @donsachs  Very sorry for implying that your build is the same as the sp14 kit. Was definitely not my intention!  I've not heard the sp14, but definitely do believe that your version sounds better... which is why I own and love one (despite doing diy and running off of my own hand built First Watt F4 amplifiers). Thanks for your great work.