Preamp suggestions for Belles 400/Snell Type A

I'm relatively new to the game and am building around the following:
- Belles 400 amp (200wpc at 8 ohms, 400wpc at 4 ohms)
- Snell Type A/i (4 ohm)
- Rega Planar 3/RB300 + Pioneer PL-600 DD

I am looking for suggestions on a preamp that will match well. My wish list is (1) $750 or under; (2) prefer a remote control for source/volume; (3) warm side of neutral; (4) decent phono stage (can get one without phono, but will then want to spend less); (5) doesn't require me to upgrade, solder or otherwise monkey with it

I've been buying/borrowing equipment and a Vincent SV236 integrated that I borrowed made the Snell's sound great. I liked the deep bass and color, although there was perhaps a bit too much. I've tried my old Adcom GTP500 and that sounds awful to me - cold and uninvolving.

I've been considering an Aragon 24k (no remote), Forte F44 on eBay (no phono), B&K Pro10/CS115-117. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
hanfrac

Showing 1 response by hanfrac

Thanks, all. I purchased a Canary CA-960 (limited edition upgraded CA-900). I broke the following - it has no remote and no phono stage.

I'm giving it a whirl. It's tough, as I don't have much of a basis for comparison, other than my memory of the Vincent preamp a friend lent me. Right now, my memory of the Vincent is stronger than the Canary with Belles (warmer, richer, more engaging), but the setup sounds like it is improving - today sounds better than last night, when I unboxed and hooked everything up. I think the Canary is virtually new, so it may need some break-in time.

I may buy another preamp to compare with and sell the lesser of the two.