Preamp suggestions for a McCormack DNA-125?

HI. Any preamp suggestions for a McCormack DNA-125? I just picked one up to try out. My speakers are Soliloquy 6.3's, and I listen mostly to jazz and classical, as well as some electronic music (mostly downtempo and ambient, some trance). I am looking for something with nice detail yet with some "meat on the bones".

Some preamps that I was considering were various models from ARC, the Joule LA-100, Wright preamp, C-J PFR or Premier 10. My budget is approximately $900. Tubes or SS would be okay. Thanks for the suggestions!

Scott
dawgcatching

Showing 1 response by 4yanx

Gotta tell you that, at your price range and considering a mating with the 125, I like Quincy's suggestion of the PV-10B very much. There are other better choices, but not many better for that money. I heard a Golden Tube SEP-2 or SEP-3, I can't remember which with a DNA-225 once and it was very nice, indeed. Rarely see tham though. Matty's advice of an AI is a sound one, but tube choice is crucial, at least in my experience.

If looking SS, try mating a McCormack to the McCormack, or maybe a Klyne, which is a good match, too.

Be carfeul if you go the passive route. I tried a Bent and while it is absolutely stellar in other applications, I did not find it dynamic enough with my McCormack. Placette is a different story - fabulous with the Mc. Choice of cables is still critical though. Both, however, are beyond your price range.