Preamp recommendation $300: see desired features

I'm looking for a nice used preamp that can be had for around $250-$300. Any help would be appreciated. Wish list (in order of priority)...remote, quality phono stage, pre-out, decent headphone jack, tape loop, defeatable tone controls.
soulbrass

Showing 1 response by bdgregory

The Rotel RC1070 can be had for $300-350 and has a "contour" switch, not tone controls, and is defeatable.It has a nice phono, tape, remote. I don't recall if it has a headphone jack though.

Another option that is worth considering is a Sherwood-Newcastle AVP9080r. It's a 5.1 pre-pro that can be purchased used for $200-300. It has a remote, mm-mc switchable phono, a Tuner, two channel bypass mode, tape, tone controls, headphone jack, in addition to DD5.1, DTS, not to mention 5.1 analog inputs.

I'm using one for 2 channel only in my den/shop, and it's actually pretty good, especially for the money. It's not too bad as a low cost HT Processor either. I can't offer an opinion on the quality of the phono section, except that it doesn't compare favorably with my Musical Fidelity . . . but we're talking a lot of $s