Preamp-phonostage selection for analog lover

This is my first thread here. Maybe it should go on the amp/preamp board but I am hoping that analog lovers, like me, will have a specialized knowledge base and be gracious enough to provide me with some help.

I really, really like the sound of vinyl. Several months ago, I bought a VPI 16.5 and since then have cleaned about 1,500 of my older LP's. I have a very nice McCormack SS amp, a Clearaudio Champion TT with an average AT cartridge (that I will be replacing), and a pair of Aerial 8 floorstanders. I have been using a borrowed Lehmann Black Cube from a friend. The Cube is okay, but I want to buy my own different from the Cube. Now I want to buy a USED TUBE preamp and a phono stage or a combination pre/phono (I know most people like the separates but I would like to go combo if at all practical). I will, of course, be using the TT and also an older Sony analog tuner. I will be using a run-of-the-mill CD player from time to time, but a high quality digital front end is NOT important to me, nor is it in my future.

Can those of you with more recent experience than I in analog give me some recommendations that would match with this amp, TT, speaker combo. I am also open to cartridge choices. I would like to stay with a good MM for now but would like to have a phono stage with the flexibilty to use an MC in the future. Oh, yes, and I'd like to spend between 1200-1800US on USED component(s)(I prefer someone else to take the knock down, I refuse to buy new in this area)! Please try to suggest units that fall within my price range USED not new, Bang for my buck, you know... Maybe 500-750US on a NEW cartridge - this lot I refuse to buy used! HA)

Thank you
Barbara
lpspinner

Showing 1 response by jmakela1192922

Barbara,

Good to see your focus is vinyl. I have extensive experience with this medium and am fortunate enough to hear most of the phonostages and some of the top carts out there. Considering where you came from and desire to improve I offer the following suggestions. Phonostage- Conrad Johnson EV1 (tube)- List price $1500 used ($800-$1000 if you can find) I have compared this with the big boy 15 premier and just could not open my pocket book to send the extra. This stage has 49 db gain, more than enough for any MM and handles most MC's down to 1mv. Another good unit is Quicksilver phono (tube) about 40 db gain (works with MM's) they also offer a transformer which increases gain about 20 db and works with all carts down to .25mv. ( cost new about $1000 for the stage and $450 for the transformer). Another great unit used is the pass aleph ono (SS), once plugged in and warmed up for 24 HOURS it sings and will hang with all but the very top (used approx $1000-$1300).

As to carts, what is wrong with used assuming you are buying from a very knowledgeable source. You are able to get much more cart for the $ than new. But in your price range for new The benz line and dynavector are very hard to beat for the $. I have used both lines and rank them amoung the best for the $. The dynavector XV-1 I rank as the best cart out there. Once you get a cart buy a wallytractor to set it up properly. That really makes a difference.

As to preamps- Conrad johnson (14, 17 etc) and the quicksilver linestage has remote and a $1000 price new.

Anyway, I hope this helps and that you are not to overwhelmed by all the inforamtion you will get. I have used each of the above mentioned items in a $70K system and they truley do not give up much to the top. But as you know or will know getting 90% of the way there is pretty easy that last 10% is a bitch and very expensive.

Good luck & be well