Preamp pairing with B&K ST-140

Hello all:
I'm ending my mid-fi ways and entering the hi-fi entry level realm. I was recently blessed with a B&K ST-140 and I'm using it with a Newcastle R-925's pre-amp out. Sounds good, but I'm told if I upgrade the preamp I'll give the Newcastle away. I split time between a pair of Paradigm Studio 40's and Klipsch Forte's. The ST-140 will hang for a lil' while but I foresee replacing it in about a year???
Any input appreciated,
tabascokid

Showing 3 responses by tabascokid

My local guru at Wilson's audio highly recommends ARC. He has a SP-7, recently serviced, but the $800 tag may be a little steep right now. I do want to minimize swapping components, as I can see you can spend more $ if you don't hit the right price point.
Thanks
No oil in my morning coffee... yet,
Walter in New Orleans
Hi:
I'm learning and was recently exposed to this. So you should match a preamp with relatively low output impedance with the SS's low input. Any rules of thumb to go by on this, like ratio's or either not to exceed?
Thanks,
Walter

I must admit, It sounds really damm good thru the Newcastle's pre, especially hooked to the Forte's (Many HiFi's shun them). Not harsh, great mid's. Percussion is repro'd very life-like. Sounds like there's a drum set in the living room. And the bass must have been canned and shipped in.
Thanks Guys:
Bringing in a B&K pre would be a good purchase, and more than likely what I may do. A big factor here is I can get one for $150 - $300. I'm from a guitar backround, and I don't even consider SS, even with the latest technological advances. Nothing beats the warmth and growl of tubie, vintage even better. But thats the 6 string world and SS does good for me in the full audio spectrum, selectfully speaking.
I also ran across info on ARC's older SS line, how it dropped out. The ARC's I have heard where part of high end systems and they sounded really good, but a notch below the tube stuff, based on my limited exposure. And yes $800 for a LS-7 seems a bit high, a fair amount of refurbishing went into it; just last week one went for $400 here.
But what I do know is that the B&K ST-140 sounds great and is a keeper for now. One ponders what mods can be made to step it up a hair more, or for the techie, emphasize an area lacking. The nice thing is there isn't a great need to rush a purchase as the Newcastle pre feeds her well. This duo, I find pushes the Forte's to a liking more so than the Studio 40's I have. Go figure, this anti-phile system I have is quite pleasing. It may be that I'll need quite a preamp upgrade to realize a difference.

Thanks all for the feedback, I'll post results.
Walter